Shimano RS505 Hub

yutow
yutow Posts: 4
edited April 2016 in Cyclocross
Does anyone have any experience using the Shimano RS505 hubs? They are fairly cheap online ($20-$40), but I have not read any reviews of them so I'm hesitant to purchase them. It seems like the Shimano CX75 hubs are widely used, but that is a little out of my price range.

Otherwise, does anyone know any good center lock hubs that are fairly cheap?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Shimano XT 8000, look no further
    left the forum March 2023
  • yutow
    The Shimano XT M8000 is a MTB hub though. I was planning on using a Shimano 105 11-speed groupset, but from my understanding, I can't use a 11 speed road cassette on a road groups - correct? What do cyclocross riders typically do in this case? Stick to 11 speed?

Also - why does it seem like nobody uses the RS505? It seems like a cheap alternative to CX75...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    yutow wrote:
    The Shimano XT M8000 is a MTB hub though. I was planning on using a Shimano 105 11-speed groupset, but from my understanding, I can't use a 11 speed road cassette on a road groups - correct? What do cyclocross riders typically do in this case? Stick to 11 speed?

Also - why does it seem like nobody uses the RS505? It seems like a cheap alternative to CX75...

I think there are a lot of myths and legends about what you can and cannot do. The 8000 is compatible with 9-10-11 speed cassettes (as it says on the tin), therefore, by extension it has to be compatible with road cassettes too.
    Maybe what you mean is that your road derailleur will not clear a 34-36 or 40 T sprocket as fitted on the 11 speed MTB cassette... you use a road one and happy days
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Shimano MTB 11 speed cassettes will fit a 10 speed hub so you might want to double check it can take a road 11 speed cassette.
    This is what Hope have to say about it:
    http://www.hopetech.com/11-speed-compatibility/
  • yutow
    Thanks for the link. It seems like MTB 11 speed and road 11 speed cassettes require different hubs. I think I'll stick to the RS505, because I know that works with the Shimano 105 groupset and is affordable. We'll see how it goes.