Rear wheel slipping

852Kompol
852Kompol Posts: 67
edited April 2016 in Road beginners
Hello,

Recently I noticed my rear tyre have a tendency to slip even when the weather is perfectly dry and decent road surface, The tyre is a Continental GP4000SII(23c, changed it just before Christmas) and this usually happens when I leaps up from the saddle and up the power for a little bit(no sprinting) is it to do with choppy pedaling style? a worn tyre? or just over inflated the tyres a bit?(I usually run them somewhere between 110-120 psi, I weight about 75 kg)

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Possibly too much tyre pressure. !20psi is quite high. I'd try it at 100psi and see if there's any improvement.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    With talk of leaping up from the saddle, this may be a technique issue?

Rise gently out of the saddle and learn how to balance the weight fore and aft.

You are riding a decent tyre; what is your distance covered on the tyre since Christmas? Pressure seems okay, if not a little high, for a 23mm; maybe try 100-110 and see how you go.

If the wheel is breaking traction on good roads and dry surfaces, then I am afraid it is most likely to be the rider at fault. Experience will teach you how to move your weight forwards and backwards when climbing out of the saddle, and a smooth technique is important in the transition from seated to standing.

Good luck.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd go to about 95psi and yes it's you - probably going too far forward and unweighting the wheel.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    ^^^this

the tyres you have are among the grippiest, but if your weight distribution is wrong you'll have traction problems
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Are you certain it is the tyre and not the chain slipping/skipping on the cassette?
  • 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    Thanks for the replies folks,

For sure its not the chain slipping-its very silent and felt different to chain slipping on the Trainer(I have a direct drive one that tends to do this to me when I shift down a couple of gears and give it some welly...)

It might be myself changing techniques given the replies from Marus, I recently tends to get more time out of the saddle either to relax my legs or some more Contador look alike(Or maybe Thomas Voeckler :D ), Mileage wise its not too high, I reckon no more than 1500km The TWI is still clearly visible.

Will have a go at lower pressure like 95-105 and see how things get along :D
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Conti recommend a pressure of 110 psi for a 23 mm GP4000II and a max of 120 psi.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-t ... -4000-s-ii

I've ridden many 23 mm tyres with this sort of pressure without any slipping of the rear wheel. I've also seen someone lift the rear wheel off the floor getting out of the saddle and leaning way to far over the bars.
    I would say it's most likely the way you are riding.