Tyre advice

twowheelthrill
twowheelthrill Posts: 59
edited April 2016 in Cyclocross
I'm currently looking at replacing my 38c slick road tyres to something a bit 'chunkier', and that can be used for light trails.

The rims measure: 16mm (between the walls), and according to Sheldon Brown's tyre chart, he's saying 35c is the max (some say he was too conservative re the sizing).

I'm eyeing up WTB Nano 40c tyres (I've got the clearance, so that's good). So is 38c where it ends, and is it worth going up only one size for a comfy ride on the trail?

Thanks.

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    I'm currently looking at replacing my 38c slick road tyres to something a bit 'chunkier', and that can be used for light trails.

The rims measure: 16mm (between the walls), and according to Sheldon Brown's tyre chart, he's saying 35c is the max (some say he was too conservative re the sizing).

I'm eyeing up WTB Nano 40c tyres (I've got the clearance, so that's good). So is 38c where it ends, and is it worth going up only one size for a comfy ride on the trail?

Thanks.

I think you can put wider tyres on narrow rims, but you usually need to run a higher pressure than you would with the same tyre on a wider rim, otherwise the handling can get a bit off with the tyre flopping around. This somewhat counters the benefit of a wider tyre in the first place, but may still be acceptable.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    If slick 38s are fine no real reason knobbly 40s will not be.

Bare in mind the special rulers they use for tyre widths
  • Thanks all for the input. I'm gambling with a pair of 42c tires, and see if they stay on! ;)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Out of interest what 42mm tyres did you do for? Any good? Cheers.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.