Which bike for child seat?

y33stu
y33stu Posts: 376
Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I'm keen to get peoples thoughts on the best type of bike to use with a rear child seat. About me:

Road rider - have 2 road bikes and a CX bike which gets used for the odd race but mostly the daily 25 commute.

My son's almost 2, and I want to get him out on the bike with me now the summer is approaching. I can't see us doing anything serious, a few rides along the coast, a few paths, maybe some gravely trails. Nothing in the wet I would imagine. Thought I'd go for the Hamax Siesta seat.

I know plenty about road and CX bikes, but nothing whatsoever about MTB, or even hybrids.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for in suitable bike? As for budget, as this is purely for little trips with him, as little as possible - I'm thinking £400 tops. Thanks in advance.
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

Comments

• Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    I just posted my 2p worth.
    viewtopic.php?f=40032&t=13062277

Aluminium frame (stiffest) and basic suspension is nice.. And from experience buy a used one as the seat will potentially scratch the frame.

Worth considering is thinking about ending up doing more off-road ... Before you know it they will be 4-5 and your priority will be finding somewhere safe to ride with them.

As a parent you soon discover that joined up thinking is not something cycle path planners are capable of.
    Specifically cycle paths tend to end at exactly the most dangerous place. They don't join up and for reasons best left to town planners usually involve the most dangerous roads to go between them.

We live on a designated cycle route ...from my front room I can see the blue sign.... with hundreds of miles in the area of both dedicated and designated. But it's near impossible to get anywhere with a kid. My return to off-road has been largely due to this. As it happens we are both having tremendous fun but it was more circumstance than good planning.

If I was doing it all again .... Anyway, I'd advise you take a few rides and imagine your kid is now 4-5 and work out what is the best option from that age through what seems like a lifetime away but will come faster than you can imagine and them going cycling by themselves or joining you on a 100 mile road day :D