Garmin Speed and Cadence Sensor

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited April 2016 in The workshop
Anyone have any tips for when a cadence/speed sensor stops broadcasting to the main unit - is there anything you can do?

If none - anyone know where you can get them cheap?

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I assume you are talking about the GSC10 sensor. Sorry for being simplistic but have you checked that it has not moved or that the battery hasn't died? Personally, I always found that particular bit of kit to be a bit troublesome, not to mention very ugly. I bought Garmins newer, separate, speed and cadence sensors and have never looked back. They work flawlessly and are very discrete (but more expensive).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • imatfaal
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I assume you are talking about the GSC10 sensor. Sorry for being simplistic but have you checked that it has not moved or that the battery hasn't died? Personally, I always found that particular bit of kit to be a bit troublesome, not to mention very ugly. I bought Garmins newer, separate, speed and cadence sensors and have never looked back. They work flawlessly and are very discrete (but more expensive).

Thanks for responding - I was hoping there was a simple explanation other than checking those two things :-) Nah - replaced battery and checked alignment; there is an LED which flashes red and green to show it has picked up crank shaft and spoke magnet respectively - so I am sure they are ok.

Yeah - I see what you mean; the new gear from Garmin is a whole lot better looking and discreet. Oh Well - have to start trawling internet for bargains.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Just be sure that the problem is with the sensor sending the data, not the head unit receiving it. If the latter then spending money to replace the sensor(s) will be wasted... Can you sync your head unit to someone else's speed sensor to check that part is OK?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    apreading wrote:
    Just be sure that the problem is with the sensor sending the data, not the head unit receiving it. If the latter then spending money to replace the sensor(s) will be wasted... Can you sync your head unit to someone else's speed sensor to check that part is OK?

That makes a lot of sense but if you do have to buy new sensors, a quick search shows a best price of about £45 for the pair but they get more expensive if you buy seperately.

Have you tried a factory reset of the computer and then re-pairing the sensor? It might solve the problem but you will lose any saved data. I would recommend that route BUT at least make a note of you odometer reading so that you can put it back in after reset.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • imatfaal
    apreading wrote:

I am pretty sure it the sensor; I have a speed/cadence sensor on both my road bike and my commuter (sad I know) - one works fine and the other refuses to be noticed by the head unit
  • imatfaal
    ayjaycee wrote:
    apreading wrote:

That makes a lot of sense but if you do have to buy new sensors, a quick search shows a best price of about £45 for the pair but they get more expensive if you buy seperately.

Have you tried a factory reset of the computer and then re-pairing the sensor? It might solve the problem but you will lose any saved data. I would recommend that route BUT at least make a note of you odometer reading so that you can put it back in after reset.

The fact that it picks up one sensor and not the other makes me think this might be a false hope - but I think a reset is probably worth a try.
  • steve55
    steve55 Posts: 19
    Hope you will have joy with the reset, the same approach with my 810 yielded results. It now picks up the GSC10 on my older bike and the newer sensors on my newer bike without problem. I turned to that as the solution after a battery replacement in the GSC10 so sounds a similar issue.
  • imatfaal
    steve55 wrote:
    Hope you will have joy with the reset, the same approach with my 810 yielded results. It now picks up the GSC10 on my older bike and the newer sensors on my newer bike without problem. I turned to that as the solution after a battery replacement in the GSC10 so sounds a similar issue.

I had a couple of rides I didn't want to miss so I held out on the reset (in case it when completely batty) - but tried this morning when your post reminded me.

SUCCESS! It is now seeing the problem cadence monitor - many thanks :D