crankI help

kenyanscott
kenyanscott Posts: 26
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Guys

I've ballsed up, is the best way i can put it.

Ordered myself all the parts to upgrade the bike from a 3x8 to a 1x10

well................

I thought I had. Went to take my crank off and it turns out that the rings are not interchangeable - they are actually rivets that sit a 5mm allen key but are not actually screws at all, so all three rings are connected and cannot be split out. Its a suntour XCT crank

Its a square taper bottom bracket.

Im now at a loss as to what I need to do, since I was planning on doing the upgrade and I cant.

I bought myself a narrow wide 30t 104bcd front ring from superstar components, so that means I need to have a crank arm that can support a 104 bcd crank bolt.
All the others parts I have are fine.

I thought i could perhaps just replace the arms but I cant find any arms to buy on ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

any ideas on what I can do to rectify what feels like a horrific situation at the moment.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need a new crankset. With the right spacing for the ring you bought.

And probably a new BB, as that's dependent on crankset. Unless you get lucky.

You could measure the axle length and check on Sheldon Brown for compatible cranksets - probably find a nice old square taper on Retrobike.

Or just buy a new crankset - an HTII Deore triple that comes with a BB would be my choice. Then sell the rings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    As above and be careful when setting it up to ensure you get the right chainline. 30t is quite small for a chain ring maybe where you ride is quite tough though. Good luck with the upgrade - you will not regret it.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ....oh yes and if you are buying a bash guard (to use in place of the largest chain ring if you buy the suggested Deore crankset) maybe size it for a 38t just to give you flexibility if you choose to use different chain rings for different conditions. For example mine changes with the seasons - as it gets drier I use a bigger one.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Just an idea, are you able to drill the rivets out and replace with bolts????
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's a low end Shimano crankset, then nearly all use a 122 BB, so get a Shimano with changeable rings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    If it's a low end Shimano crankset, then nearly all use a 122 BB, so get a Shimano with changeable rings.
    Its a suntour XCT crank
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Oops, missed that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.