Recovering from Road Rash

852Kompol
852Kompol Posts: 67
edited March 2016 in Road beginners
I suffered slightly last weekend on a short ride, literally down like a sack of bricks on a bend that's awfully slippery.

Left a hole on the skinsuit(you're on trainer duties from now on) and the shoe-covers (hurray for reason to get new kit!). there's quite a sizable open wound (3inch across) on my left thigh(towards the hip, basically where your pockets goes on your ) but nothing too deep(Its still leaking fluids, I do change the dressing daily).

the bike is O-k. nothing too serious, just a sanded left Sti, didn't even scratch the bar tape/ pedals!

So I would like to know when is it good to get riding again? or should I be confined to my turbo at the time or just put my legs up for a couple of weeks?

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I'm no medic, but I'd say, if there's nothing broken or muscular damage - as soon as you can move the wounds with as much discomfort as you can bear
    Someone will be along soon to quote "the rules" or post a pic of some shredded pro :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Iodine gauze can be good to treat infection as well.

Basically it's gonna hurt and weep for a while so your probably fine to ride just you want to stop it sticking to your clothes!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    if the wound is deep, an alginate dressing and follow instructions
    less deep, hydrocolloid and follow instructions
    a few layers of skin but not raw flesh, tegaderm film and follow instructions

all of these stay in place for several days at a time (do what the instructions say), they keep the wound moist so it can heal faster and without scabbing/scarring

as long as it's free of infection, leave it alone, it will heal faster/better if you don't keep disturbing it

the alginate/hydocolloid dressing soak up fluids and stay moist, so they can appear pretty squishy, that's normal

i had roadrash about the size of a cd case on my thigh, in a&e they covered it in tegaderm and i was riding fine next day, it healed much faster than a few small grazes that i didn't cover up

btw wetsuit repair kit for holed lycra
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Skinsuit in this weather ??

I use melolin dressings - no need to rest up for weeks but do take it easy for the next few days - your body is struggling to repair itself and doesnt need too much more trauma.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the problem with activity is not keeping active but that the washing afterwards is not very good for helping wounds to stay free of infection, dry out and heal. Hence, If the wound is still very raw then I would treat as per the excellent advice from Sungod and also keep moving by doing some very light turbo work that does not leave you with the need to shower afterwards (just a "blanket bath" to keep fresh).

Soft tissue wounds can be painful for some time; I hit the deck on the same hip twice in three weeks and it is only now totally free of pain...and that was about 2 months ago.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521
    sungod wrote:
    less deep, hydrocolloid and follow instructions
    a few layers of skin but not raw flesh, tegaderm film and follow instructions
    Both of these stop the stinging and are excellent at promoting speedy healing. Make sure you get dressings which are at least 1cm bigger in any direction than the wounded area - it's vital that they stick to undamaged skin so that they can adhere properly and stay there for a few days.

I used to be an "expose the wound to dry it out" person, but that's a decidedly out-of-date (i.e. not best practice) approach these days.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    +1 to the hydrolloid and tegaderm suggestions

After a few days the dressing can start to look proper manky, but it is very effective. When you eventually remove it the new skin will be underneath with no scabbing.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Hydrocolloid are fantastic but make sure its clean before applying because the keep it moist and stop a scab forming which means it heals quicker and with less scarring. but because its moist, any bacteria has an ideal place to breed.

The Duoderm 10x10 dressings are the best, but I dont think you can get them in shops, only on the internet. Boots do a pack with a big oval hydrocolloid dressing with a gel pad in it too - these are pretty good.

After being T-boned by a taxi minibus a month ago, I have had a variety of wounds:

The face got hydrocolloid and within 4-5 days I took it off and while the skin was still a little pink, it was all healed. A couple of days later and you would never know anything happened there.

The shoulder was left bare as I didnt have a dressing big enough for it - ended up like a 'piece of bacon' (my daughter's description) and when the scab peeled the worst part has not healed and got a bit infected - have had a Duoderm hydrocolloid on it for the last week (supplied by nurse) and am on anti-biotics. The duooderm is really stretchy, big and you almost dont notice its there.

The hip had Melolin but it really stuck to the would and was difficult/painful to peel off and because it didnt stretch, every time I moved it tugged at the wound. It has healed much quicker than the shoulder though and without significant scabs. Skin underneath looks perfect but a bit darker than the surrounding areas.

Other areas left uncovered had scabs which came off and now pink skin which will take a while to look normal again.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Duoderm and all of the dressings mentioned can be had from any pharmacy but they would usually be in the dispensary at the back, not on open sale. If they have an open box they would usually be happy to sell on or two, if not in stock you'd have to have a full box. Not cheap but definitely the best way to go
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    Thanks for all the advice folks, since I am in the Far East and not all the mentioned options are open to me.
    I ended up with tegaderms(I have a readily supply of them easily), but not much else, so I had to resort to Paraffin Gauze and standard non-woven gauze. luckily all seems alright for the time being. got up and riding Yesterday and don't even feel half bad. :D