Hydraulic disc brake transport 'shim'

g10
g10 Posts: 22
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I was out with friends and one of the lads picked up a flat. He repaired the tube but couldn't re-sit the wheel. This was due to the caliper closing the pads - probably due to an accidental lever pull while the wheel was off the frame.

I guess you'd have to watch for this if transporting the bike with a wheel off.

Is there any sort of shim (for want of a better way to describe it), that can be placed between the brake pads during puncture repair/transport?

Thanks!

Comments

• loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Just use the flat head screwdriver on your multi tool to spread the pads again. No time messing around with pad shims. Get it sorted and get going asap
    And for heaven's sake try to to squeeze the brake lever again....
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most brakes come with a separator. But it's not something I'd carry around with me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Snap, also rather tahn a screw driver which can damage the pads if its not fully closed use the tyre lever and a slow wriggle does the same job with less chance of damage ;)
  • g10
    g10 Posts: 22
    I mentioned this to a lad at work today who's really into 3d printing - and getting quite good at it.

He'd be able to print a blade/shim for me.

I'll post a pic of them when the arrive if anyone is interested?.

For the sake of carrying 2x small slithers of plastic, its a no-brainer for the ball ache they could save.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    g10 wrote:

For the sake of carrying 2x small slithers of plastic, its a no-brainer for the ball ache they could save.

Really inadvisable to use your ba lls.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • My avids came with one when I got the bike boxed from halfords.. It now lives in the boot of my car for transport duties.. Wouldn't pull my lever while fixing a puncture so don't carry it while riding.