Bike stolen... What replacement?

TCottle
TCottle Posts: 65
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Woke up this morning to find my shed broken into, and my Cube Stereo stolen... :(

A 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7 was also stolen, which I'm not overly fussed about. Unfortunately though, my mates Carrera Kraken was also nicked from my shed... I'd recently upgraded the brakes for him.

Really annoyed... but trying to be positive. Insurance will be paying out, albeit only £2500 - Which I will need to buy a new bike for myself, and a replacement for my friends.

This leaves me with around £2000 to buy myself a bike.

The Cube was a 29'er with 140mm travel. I had done a few mods to, including 1x10 conversion, grips, pedals, saddle, wheel upgrade etc.

I would describe my riding as general trail/single-track with the odd trail centre.

I'm 6'8'' which makes finding the correct fit of anything a bit difficult... The Cube was a pretty decent fit in fairness, but a little more room in the top tube wouldn't go amiss.

I like the sound of the latest wave of short travel trail bikes - 120/130mm travel, aggressive geometry, long top tube and short stem.

The Whyte T-129 SCR seems to fit the bill, but at £2750 its pushing the £££'s.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/2162 ... -bike-2016

The T-129 S is £2200, but has a 2x10 drivetrain, which I would only get rid of anyway, and a pair of RockShox revelations, which I would also eventually want to upgrade.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/2162 ... -bike-2016

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Tom.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why is your friend's bike your problem?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TCottle
    TCottle Posts: 65
    Sorry, forgot to state - mates bike was in my shed also.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So what? Still don't see why it's your problem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's your mates mates responsibility to insure his/her bike away from their home, not yours.

If the payout does not cover what you had stolen, in my opinion it is not fair if your mate asks for a cut.

Now if you want to offer your mate a cut, that's your choice, but I'd only contemplate that myself if the payout was very generous.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Not a bike I know personally, but the Radon Slide 130 29 9.0 would seem to tick all your boxes, including price?
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp