Chinese Spd SL Cleats

smiley_boy2501
smiley_boy2501 Posts: 126
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for some new cleats. Given shimano are £10ish and last about 4 months (till wear indicator is gone on foot that gets put down at lights) I was looking at cheaper alternatives.

I use the yellows for extra float as my right leg likes to move around a bit.

Looked at the lifeline from wiggle but only have 4.5 degrees.

Then on eBay unsurprisingly there is plenty of Chinese copies of all types. Anyone with experience of these?

If not I'll have a go at a couple of quid but thought I'd ask given my foakleys have been good for the price.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Total false economy. If you only get 4 months out of genuine Shimano ones you'll probably only get a few weeks out of the Chinese copies which seem to be made from some sort of soft cream cheese rather than plastic.
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    trek_dan wrote:
    Total false economy. If you only get 4 months out of genuine Shimano ones you'll probably only get a few weeks out of the Chinese copies which seem to be made from some sort of soft cream cheese rather than plastic.

I have to agree with this. I bought 6 pairs of these, which only lasted me about a year of commuting, if that. Also, they supplied the wrong fixings (those metal plates that go between the bolt and cleat), that weren't recessed (more like the ones you get with Look Keo cleats) and therefore wouldn't allow the cleat to engage with the pedal correctly. Luckily, I had some spare Shimano ones.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Looking for some new cleats. Given shimano are £10ish and last about 4 months (till wear indicator is gone on foot that gets put down at lights) I was looking at cheaper alternatives.

I use the yellows for extra float as my right leg likes to move around a bit.

Looked at the lifeline from wiggle but only have 4.5 degrees.

Then on eBay unsurprisingly there is plenty of Chinese copies of all types. Anyone with experience of these?

If not I'll have a go at a couple of quid but thought I'd ask given my foakleys have been good for the price.

What's the wear indicator?

Have you considered swapping them between shoes after 4 months to give you 8 months?

Or get some SPD pedals and two bolt shoes.
  • Genuine ones it is then.

The little yellow blobs on each corner of the cleats are meant to be wear indicators. Tbh they still work when they've gone.

And never though about swapping them over..... :oops:
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The yellow bits wear out in no time if you ever walk around a cafe stop. Keep using them until you can feel any noticeable play.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I get much more than 4 months out of mine and I ride 200 odd miles a week, you must unclip an awful lot?

I do however swap cleats between shoes when the left becomes a little sloppy (I disengage my left foot at lights etc)
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    been there, done that. Stick to Shimano OEM. They last longer and fit better and Wiggle normally sell them for £11. There are plenty more ways to save a fiver.