Changing the Zonda freehub?

flopstocks
flopstocks Posts: 110
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Hello, I have a pair of Zondas (Shimano/SRAM fitment) that are only 500 miles old. I am switching to a new bike with Campagnolo groupset that comes with a set of Khamsin's on (Planet X Viner Mitus)
Is it possible to switch the freehubs over so I can fit the Zondas to my new bike?

If so would the Khamsin freehub be inferior to a Zonda one?

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    It depends on how old the Khamsins are...if the khamsins are 2015 wheels then its a straight swap, if theyre older then they used a narrower axle and so therefore it cant be changed over.
  • flopstocks
    Thanks I'd assume the Khasmin will be the 2015 model.

I might see if I can send my Zonda's to Planet X for them to fit on the Viner Mitus, then they could return the Khasmins with the Shimano free hub fitted.

Would there be any difference in quality between Zonda and Khasmin freehubs or are they the same part?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I don't suppose that they're both 11-speed? If they are, just swap the wheels over and leave the cassettes on. An 11-speed SRAM/Shimano cassette will work with an 11-speed Campag group - and vice-versa.
  • flopstocks
    Ah I did not realize that, yeah both 11 speed.

Only problem is that the SRAM Rival Cassette has a 32 tooth, and the Campang 29 tooth.

Not sure if the rear derailleur would cope?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Not officially, no - you'll need to get a different cassette, but that may be the cheapest option anyway
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    MugenSi wrote:
    It depends on how old the Khamsins are...if the khamsins are 2015 wheels then its a straight swap, if theyre older then they used a narrower axle and so therefore it cant be changed over.

Can somebody confirm that this is correct?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:

It looks like the answer to my question is "no".

I will rephrase my quire. Does anyone else think this is bollox.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    lesfirth wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:

I think this isn't right.
    The lower model Campag wheels have a different spec/model freehub to the higher end wheels.
    I have changed a few of these on Shamal, Zonda etc etc
    The FH-BUU015 model fits Zonda, Eurus and higher etc
    There is another one for Khamsin, Vento, Scirrocco etc
    I ride therefore I am
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:

:oops: Sorry MugenSi I should have done a bit of homework before I posted. You are quite correct.