Gators or Pro4's

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
High all looking for some advice on the above tyres.
Michelin Pro4 endurance V2 folding or Conti Gatorskins folding or Pro4's comp service course in 25mm.
Been using Gators over the past few years with out issues but here the Pro4's are pretty good. Though slightly heavier except the comp tyres

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    What are you looking for from your tyre?
    So for example the Gatorskins and Endurance are more your winter/all year round tyre, whereas the Service Course is more a Summer tyre (less rolling resistance and puncture protection plus lighter).

Haven't used Gatorskins but a few people on the forum have criticised them for lack of grip and high rolling resistance.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ^ wot he said. I have the Pro4 SC on the summer bike. Currently GP4 Seasons on the winter bike but will try the Pro4 Endurance when they wear out.
  • rob39
    Yea should have said. All rounders offering the holy grail of puncture resistance and low rolling
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    Whilst Pro Race 4s Service Course are theoretically a race tyre, they are quite hard wearing and puncture resistant in comparison to some. This makes them an excellent choice for all round riding. Obviously you'll get more mileage out of Endurance but SCs don't fair too badly either.
    The only thing I would say is that now Michelin have announced the new Power range will be replacing them, I'd expect to see some really good deals cropping up as retailers clear them. Best I can see at the moment is £25 with a free inner from CRC (Endurance £22). I'd be very surprised if they don't start going under £20 soon.
    The other thing is that 25s come up very big, so check your clearances.
    Do not under any circumstances buy Gatorskins. They are positively lethal in the wet. Even in the dry they have a dead and lifeless feel and are hugely overpriced for what is basically Continentals budget puncture resistant tyre.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I used Gatorskins for a while but switched over to the Pro 4 Endurance a year or so ago. I hadn't realised how limiting the grip level on the Gatorskins was until I made the switch. I've found the Endurance very good for grip and 6k miles later I'm yet to puncture (famous last words and I'll probably regret saying that). I was running 23 Gators and have continued to use 23s with the Endurance.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Pro4 every time. Dabber has summed it up beautifully, the Gators are awful for anything other than having good puncture resistance. Pro4 Endurance combine puncture resistance with excellent grip, significantly less rolling resistance and slightly larger volume for the given width meaning more comfort is available if you run slightly lower pressures. Great tyres and half the price!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    +1 Pro4 Endurance make Gatorskins ride like a piece of hosepipe
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Pro4 endurance are night and day better than Gators!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Michelin are bringing out a new range called Power to replace the Pro 4s. It sounds like they'll be an improvement over the Pro 4s so might be worth waiting for, although I'm not sure how soon they'll hit the shops.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I usually use gatorskins to commute, although have Gp4000s on at the moment.
    I tried the pro 4 endurance but just didn't like the feel.

And fwiw I have never found rolling resistance on the gatorskin to be any higher than when I used the pro 4s.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    i have some brand new pro 4 sc 25mm, boxed new, surplus to requirements. happy to sell for £50 a pair, delivered, paypal gift.

mrd1408@me.com
    Colnago Addict!
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    ^ They're cheaper than that with a free inner tube on CRC...

I'm going to down vote the Pro4 SC, I've recently had to replace one on the rear because it was showing canvas after covering less than 2500 miles. In comparison I got 6200 miles out of a GP4000s on the rear.

I've been using Schwalbe Durano tyres over the winter, probably done about 1000 miles on them and haven't punctured. Great wet and dry grip in my opinion.
  • rob39
    Gone for Pro4 Enduro with some new Campag Zonda wheels