Jetfly, Cero AR30 or RS81 c24. ????

rickeverett
rickeverett Posts: 988
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for light climbing wheels for £300-400 mark. I have eventually narrowed my options to the Novatech Jetfly 2016, Cero AR30 2016 and Shimano RS81 C24. I'm now stuck with going off reviews etc which all are pretty equal.

The Jetfly and AR30 are pretty light. I'm 80kg and the bike is currently 7.3kg (with vision team 30 wheels)

The vision wheels have been the most flexible wheels I have had and want to get rid. They also have a +1700 weight so 3-400g loss on these three is also a positive.

My only concern is the Jetfly had a tad bit of flex in some reviews. The Cero has no mention of flex as far as I know.

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I’ve owned a pair of Shimano RS81 C24's for a couple of years - great wheel set. They have proved to be robust over thousands of miles in the UK and abroad. Still true and the bearings are still running smoothly. No discernible flexing to me, I'm 78kg. (Before these I had RS 80’s which are currently on my wife’s bike and still running very well).

My son has had Cero AR 30’s for about the same time. We bought these on a deal and they were relatively cheap at the time. Seemingly very light, but he says they do flex ‘a bit’ (he's 70kg). They are very slightly out of true and the bearings are OK at the moment. Considering the severe pounding these wheels have taken I’ve been impressed with them for what we paid (which I can't remember...)

I would have no trouble recommending either of these wheel sets, but don’t forget I’m only a bloke on the internet.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I've got the AR30's and I absolutely love them. They seem to roll ridiculously smoothly, I've not detected any flex (although I'm only 67kg) and I'm convinced there is definitely some aero benefit even at 30mm depth rim. The downside to this is that you do get blown about but that probably wouldn't be so much of a problem for you.

My carbon bike originally had a set of £400 DT Swiss R20 Dicut's and I've ridden it with both sets and the Cero's feel miles better in my opinion.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    The 30mm+ rim depth on the ar30 and Jetfly doesn't bother me much as the vision wheels are the same. The weight limits are 90-100kg so I'm safe. I do wonder why the vision set flex so much ou of the saddle.

I take it the shimano wheels still use cup and cone?
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I take it the shimano wheels still use cup and cone?

A quick google suggests they do, and this is taken from the Bikeradar website: "The hubs have Shimano’s ‘digital click bearing adjustment’, making preloading the bearings relatively simple. The aluminium shelled hub holds an oversized axle, and is sealed with labyrinth double contact sealing, which we have found effective even in very poor conditions."
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    What about a handbuilt wheelset? I've just had built Pacenti SL23 rims on Dura Ace 9000 hubs with Sapim Laser spokes for about £400. They weigh about 1550g and are good and stiff and I weigh 85kg.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    dstev55 wrote:
    ...I'm convinced there is definitely some aero benefit even at 30mm depth rim...

Nah, not IMO. Even on 20+mph club runs I find it hard to notice 30-35mm rims giving any benefit even when sat on the front, certainly not as much as having a burly chap sat in front of me that's for sure :)
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    ...I'm convinced there is definitely some aero benefit even at 30mm depth rim...

Nah, not IMO. Even on 20+mph club runs I find it hard to notice 30-35mm rims giving any benefit even when sat on the front, certainly not as much as having a burly chap sat in front of me that's for sure :)

Well the hubs must be considerably better than those on the DT Swiss R20 Dicuts then as there is no doubt in my mind they roll better on flat and fast sections.
  • Mr_Mojo wrote:
    What about a handbuilt wheelset? I've just had built Pacenti SL23 rims on Dura Ace 9000 hubs with Sapim Laser spokes for about £400. They weigh about 1550g and are good and stiff and I weigh 85kg.

That's a good price. Where did you get them?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    jonnyc1973 wrote:
    Mr_Mojo wrote:

That's a good price. Where did you get them?

I'd be interested to know that too bearing in mind the cost of the hubs and rims alone without spokes and build costs would seem to be more than that.
  • mr_mojo
    Hubs - Evans Cycles £230
    Rims - Just Riding Along (V1 half price) £80
    Build / spokes / nipples - Poetry in Motion, York -£102

Total £412
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    Hubs - Evans Cycles £230
    Rims - Just Riding Along (V1 half price) £80
    Build / spokes / nipples - Poetry in Motion, York -£102

Total £412

Fair play, you've managed to get a bit of a bargain there.
  • mr_mojo
    That's what I thought.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Why not the Mavic Ksyrium Elite? Currently on offer under £400 at Merlin
  • Can get the jetflys for under 270 today only.