Do I need Knobbly Tyres and if so, which ones?

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Just volunteered myself for another build project for my Grandson. Built him up a Genesis Volante frame a couple of years back but he has now sprouted almost a foot in height since then so that bike is way too small for him.

viewtopic.php?t=12991733

My plan is to cannibalise my Planet X London Road that I currently ride and convert it to a flat bar hybrid style build. Can source the SRAM 11-speed flat bar shifters and brake levers from Bike24 so it should be fairly straightforward. I have also sourced a set of new Maddux disc wheels from the classifieds. (Ecomonics dictate that I can't really gift him my Archetype/Hope Pro2 handbuilts so they will be sold to fund some of the build costs)

His main complaint about the Genesis build was the restriction on tyre size and type he could fit. Max 700 x 25 I think was the biggest he could get away with.

His rides are predominantly off road - forest tracks, tow paths and cycle tracks. No real mud plugging involved.

Was planning to fit some 700 x 32/33/35 tyres but do I need to specify knobblies for the type of riding he mainly does? In reality he may not need them but psychologically I think he would feel more confident with them there rather than semi-slicks or similar. Also any recommendations for that type of tyre at a reasonable price (folding variety would be preferred

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    You could go for some file tread cyclocross tyres though personally I'd look for something with puncture protection - my limited experience of off road pleasure rides has been marred by frequent punctures using the standard cyclocross tyres the bike came with.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If theres no mud then you don't need knobbly tyres as much. Check out the Schwalbe Marathon type tyres. Bombproof.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Schwalbe Sammy Slick is my general use tyre and has been excellent. File tread centre with knobbly edges so perfect for mixed on/off use as long as its not muddy.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    trek_dan wrote:
    Schwalbe Sammy Slick is my general use tyre and has been excellent. File tread centre with knobbly edges so perfect for mixed on/off use as long as its not muddy.
    ^This, great tyre for mix of on and off road, although my rear seems to have worn quite badly.

A similar tyre, but superior in my eyes, is the Challenge Gravel Grinder 38mm. My pair don't seem to be wearing much at all despite quite a few Tarmac miles, mixed with a fair amount of rough tracks. Feel pretty swift on road too.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • cneifion
    cneifion Posts: 53
    I've had a pair of Schwalbe G-One gravel tyres for a couple of weeks for the same sort of off-road riding as your grandson intends to do, mixed with plenty of tarmac, mostly of the rough and potholed variety. These have a small knobble over the whole width of the tread but roll really well on tarmac. The knobbles are probably not really necessary for some of the easier trails but do give extra confidence when the surface is a bit rougher. Don't think they will cope with more than a thin smear of mud.
    Schwalbe claim a good level of protection (obviously not to Marathon level). I converted mine to tubeless yesterday - really easy with the right rim - so should be even better in this respect.
    Problem is they are not cheap and there are very few stockists at present.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Fenix wrote:
    If theres no mud then you don't need knobbly tyres as much. Check out the Schwalbe Marathon type tyres. Bombproof.

Tks for the suggestion - do you know if they come in a folding option. I've heard that the beaded Marathon Plus is one of the most difficult tyres to fit and I don't really want to bequeath him a potential problem down the line.
    trek_dan wrote:

Attracted by this option but how do they perform in the p*n*t*r* stakes.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've had two in the year or so I've used them, both caused by broken glass on the gravel tracks on my commute.
  • I have been running Clement xplor mso tyres for my commuting over the last year and a half or so and can recommend them. They are quite reasonably priced in the 32mm 60tpi folding version too - Winstanly has them at just over £22 for the 32mm and £24 for the 40mm http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... GwodIggKAg

I mainly use them on road but they have coped well on bridle paths too (although the mud I encountered on one of the Wiggle cyclosportives along the Ridgeway tended to overpower the tread). Lots of good reviews on the web.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    I've got some Vittoria Randonneur Pros on my winter bike which have proved fine for a bit of light off roading, gravel cycle paths and the like. Never had a puncture with them. Like some of the others suggested above, would be no use in mud. From memory I think they were about 17 quid each.