Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc - good buy at £1900?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

So after much delay, a change of wheels, and new handlebars, stem and seatpost, I finally managed to get out on my Alu framed, SRAM equipped Synapse at the weekend for 30 miles.

The delay was partly because I still have another bike to use for grotty weather, but that will be gone soon.

So anyway, it took me 4 miles or so to get used to the SRAM shifting, but I got on better with it than I thought I would, but what really blew me away was how bloomin comfortable it was - I have fitted 25c Durano Plus tyres on it, not known for their plushness, but it felt like a rolls royce compared to my Marin, which I would actively avoid rough patches of road, on this you barely noticed them, madness - and that with a full carbon saddle too, oh and not even the carbon seatpost fitted.

So anyway, that all led me to contemplate thinking about an all carbon one for a long distance summer bike:
cannondale-synapse-carbon-ultegra-3-disc-2016-road-bike-yellow-EV239405-1000-1.jpg

Are they as good as reviews would have you believe, my alloy bike is making me think it may well be so...?

I would not pay £2500 for one but £1900 I can kind of rationalise with myself to some degree.........

Any views one way or another on it?
And owners views would be appreciated too.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• It is a very highly regarded bike in reviews as you already know. I have a friend who has one and he loves it. Finds it super comfy and enjoyable to ride. Seems to me that £1900 for this year's model (if it is) is £600 off rrp is very good in anyones book !
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    FWIW I got the rim braked version last year - one word - fantastic.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • daniel_b
    Cheers guys,

sounds like a fine ride then - as bad luck would have it, the retailer that had it reduced by 15%, has just chopped in the discount!
    i still get £10% discount through work, but £2250 is too much alas.

I'm going to bide my time, get used to my Alu framed model, and then see if any offers pop up again on the yellow peril model above - I see you can still get 2015 models for that kind of price, so I expect there will be offers, if not until the autumn or perhaps even this time next year.

If anyone else has any feedback, would be delighted to hear.

Has anyone chopped in their Sunday best road bike for one of these?
    ie I know it's a top quality bike, but am aware it's not as 'racy' as a CR1 for example.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ayjaycee
    I'm not sure when exactly Cannondale will start to reduce their prices but I bought my 2015 Synapse last August and would guess it would be around the same time this year for 2016 models. The price was reduced from £2000 to £1600 which I thought was a bit of a bargain - curiously, it went up to £1700 the day after I ordered mine!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • daniel_b
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I'm not sure when exactly Cannondale will start to reduce their prices but I bought my 2015 Synapse last August and would guess it would be around the same time this year for 2016 models. The price was reduced from £2000 to £1600 which I thought was a bit of a bargain - curiously, it went up to £1700 the day after I ordered mine!

Interesting - will keep my eyes peeled - which retailer was that?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ayjaycee
    Evans BUT have a quick look at viewtopic.php?p=19833133#p19833133. From memory, most of the resellers start discounting around that same time - I think it is, at least in part, the manufacturers giving the deals which are then passed on by the reseller.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • daniel_b
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Evans BUT have a quick look at viewtopic.php?p=19833133#p19833133. From memory, most of the resellers start discounting around that same time - I think it is, at least in part, the manufacturers giving the deals which are then passed on by the reseller.

Nice, thanks a lot for that - in no hurry for it at all, so if it were to come down to £2000, and then I can lop another 10% off through work, £1800 sounds even better.
    Also gives me ample time to sell things to try and raise the money!

Out of interest, I see your Synapse is your 'best' or favourite bike?
    Did it replace another bike, or was it an N+1?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I'd swap out the wheels, eventually, but let's face it, it's going to be fantastic. Get on with it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daniel_b
    I'd swap out the wheels, eventually, but let's face it, it's going to be fantastic. Get on with it.

Another set of those Pro Lites would do me!

I can't - they have just (Overnight\early today) put the price back up to full RRP :evil:
    Hence have to lurk, wait and monitor, whilst selling stuff.
    No need for it this year, as am only getting to grips with my current Synapse, which is lovely, and have my CR1 of course.
    Perhaps I don't even need the carbon alternative to the Synapse, would be a good saving if I did not!

I was tempted by an 'adventure' bike, but think I would get more use out a bike like this.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ayjaycee
    Daniel B wrote:
    Out of interest, I see your Synapse is your 'best' or favourite bike?
    Did it replace another bike, or was it an N+1?

A bit of both really! As you can see from the signature, I've got three bikes - the Synapse (see here: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154), a Specialized Allez Elite (see here: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13029133) and a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid. The Synapse was a bit of an impulse purchase and I haven't regretted it for a second - I saw one in my LBS and just loved the colour scheme but they didn't have my size (56). I did however try the Tiagra version in the right size on a long(ish) test ride and really liked it and decided there and then to buy the Ultegra version - my LBS made a check to find that they wouldn't be able to get hold of one hence I ended up at Evans. It is now my 'best bike' and the Allez has acquired a set of mudguards for use when it's wet - the Crosstrail is my 'going to the pub with the Mrs' bike.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • hazy_day
    hazy_day Posts: 84
    I've just taken delivery of a 54cm Synapse Hi-mod frame from Evans and built it up with Shimano 105 and TRP Spyres (mechanical). I put in a C-Bear bb30A bottom bracket and Mark of Spokesman Wheels built me a set of Velocity Aileron disc wheels (Thanks Mark truly excellent wheels).I've got to say I'm extremely happy with the build and would regard the Synapse as a super comfortable long distance bike while still retaining a nice racy feel for anyone so inclined. I've done several 100 Km spins since I got it and about 5 spins in excess of 80 Km and at the end I always feel I could go further. I also have a CAAD 10 and have ridden many different makes,models and find the Synapse one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden.It's a keeper for the moment.
  • hazy_day
    hazy_day Posts: 84
    Sorry typo meant to say "keeper".
  • daniel_b
    Thanks guys,

all very positive indeed.

Had a bad day at work today, so took the Synapse out for a ride, and took my frustrations out on the pedals, it's a lovely bike, although I think I will need to drop the stem down a bit, as right now it is on top of all the spacers.
    I understand that the carbon frame has a slightly shorter headset height than the alloy one, so that would probably be fine at the top.

I am wondering if this is the frame that will fit me really well, as I have long legs, but a short torso (34" inseam, 5ft 10 tall) so it might be the 'eureka' moment for me, the ride was still sublime, and I spent a lot of time in the drops with no discomfort at all.

The only downside is that the gears are not indexed properly.

Not tackled SRAM indexing before, assuming it is not that different to Shimano?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    It's easier. Set the limit screws. Tighten the cable. It just works.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daniel_b
    It's easier. Set the limit screws. Tighten the cable. It just works.

Liking the sound of that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Daniel B wrote:

Had problems with my PX London road after a few weeks riding when the indexing went out and I had issues with the chain jumping cogs. Thought initially I could use the tried and tested process for Shimano that has worked unfailingly for me in the past.

Apparently not according to some advice I gleaned by searching through tech/workshop posts on various forums.

Check out the procedure in this thread (last entry).

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13038492&hilit=SRAM

Worked a treat for me and have smooth and faultless indexing ever since
  • daniel_b
    arlowood wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Had problems with my PX London road after a few weeks riding when the indexing went out and I had issues with the chain jumping cogs. Thought initially I could use the tried and tested process for Shimano that has worked unfailingly for me in the past.

Apparently not according to some advice I gleaned by searching through tech/workshop posts on various forums.

Check out the procedure in this thread (last entry).

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13038492&hilit=SRAM

Worked a treat for me and have smooth and faultless indexing ever since

Awesome, thankyou very much Walter, will give that a go this weekend - the weather looks atrocious, so I think i will have ample opportunity in the garage :?

Your wheels are well on their way, I see they have reached the national hub (Wherever that is) this morning :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18