Specialized Allez Sport Parts advice (Correct or not) ??

Paul & Mimi
Paul & Mimi Posts: 10
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Hi guys I have just brought a Specialized Allez Sport (2011) MINT condition bike...

I'm normally a MTB guy Specialized RockHopper SL Pro (2010 all so mint)

Ok the Road Bike

Sora Group 19 gears front chain rings 50 x 34 T

Ok the Cassette is Shimano HG50 9 Speed 12-25 BUT has a SRAM PC1051 which I believe is a 10 Speed chain on it ???? ....the list chain I believe is a KMC x9 ........not sure if standard x9, light or supper light

I know what's on there but not sure if its correct and have some gear change issues like delayed change in lower gears does any one know how many links the chain is meant to be MEANT to be ????

Would KMC X9 be the best chain is it worth going for the light or supper light version ?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Let' s start with the basics, can you clarify the number of gears because 19 doesn't make sense. If you mean 9 then KMC make very good chains for the money, x9L should fit the bill. You could spend more money on an x9sl but there is no performance benefit, just a few grammes saved so unless you find a great deal just get the x9L. All assuming you meant 9 speed.

The sram chain is indeed 10 speed so not ideal and worth changing IMO. Then have a good look at the indexing. Might be worth checking the chain for wear before you change the chain though as it could have worn the cassette too...

There are a few good chain length guides out there (machinehead for one) but old school says wrap chain around big/big without the rear derailleur and add one full link (so 2, if you get me).
  • Thanks for posting a reply

Sorry Im butter fingers typing that should be 18 not 19 gears .......I think as far as links go its 114 or 116 is the choice for the X9SL (I use the x9SL on my mountain bike)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Thanks for posting a reply

Sorry Im butter fingers typing that should be 18 not 19 gears .......I think as far as links go its 114 or 116 is the choice for the X9SL (I use the x9SL on my mountain bike)

My advice remains the same:

There are a few good chain length guides out there (machinehead for one) but old school says wrap chain around big/big without the rear derailleur and add one full link (so 2, if you get me).

That should give you the right number. However, if in doubt and you wanted a quick starter for ten, you could always count the links in the chain on your bike (!) but that would assume that it has been fitted correctly. Whatever the answer is, you will need to shorten the chain after purchase as they invariably come several links too big. The Parktools Mini Chain Brute works well and can be carried on rides too, although a couple of KMC Missing Links in a saddlebag always come in handy as well.