New carbon fiber road bike

patraz
patraz Posts: 18
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello,
I want to replace my aluminium bike with a carbon fiber one. I am generally between Canyon and Rose bikes. First of all, anyone has any experience about them?
I will use the bike for training and also participate to some competitions which evolve long distances (eg 300km without lot of up and downs, but sitll some hills up to 6% max grade). I decided generally to go for a Shimano Ultregra groupset. The models that I am between are the following (I am also writting the tires they have as I can upgrade them in case I go for Rose Bikes):
Canyon:
Ultimate CF SL 9.0 (Mavik ksyrium Elite WTS)
Endurance CF 9.0 (DT Swiss RR21 Dicut)
Endurance CF 7.9 SL (Mavik aksium)

RoseBikes:
XEON Team CGF-3000 (DT Swiss R23 Splice)
XEON CRS-3000 (DT Swiss R23 Splice)
X-LITE CRS-3000 (DT Swiss R20 Dicut)

Some of the options to upgrade the wheels of RoseBikes are the following:
DT SWiss R23 Splice, R20 Dicut, R32 Splice
Mavic Cosmic Elite 25 WTS, Elite WTS, Pro WTS (this is a quite expensive upgrade).

What do you think between the models of Canyon and RoseBikes?
If I go for RoseBikes, which wheels you think is better to have from your own experience?

Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Check the Canyon thread in the general forum - lots of delivery issues at the moment.
  • patraz
    g00se wrote:
    Check the Canyon thread in the general forum - lots of delivery issues at the moment.

Ok, that doesn't look promising.. it seems a bit risky now to order from Canyon, as it might take very long time to get it at the moment. And the RoseBikes look like a good deal.

What about the 3 options from RoseBikes and which wheels are the best value?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    patraz wrote:
    g00se wrote:

Ok, that doesn't look promising.. it seems a bit risky now to order from Canyon, as it might take very long time to get it at the moment. And the RoseBikes look like a good deal.

DT Swiss factory wheels don't appear to be well regarded by our resident experts but rose bikes do have a good reputation.
    I believe Rose have a UK agent too so you might get a test ride before buying the wrong size. There have been a lot of good deals on Cannondale Supersixes lately if that floats your boat.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    patraz wrote:
    g00se wrote:

DT Swiss factory wheels don't appear to be well regarded by our resident experts but rose bikes do have a good reputation.
    I believe Rose have a UK agent too so you might get a test ride before buying the wrong size. There have been a lot of good deals on Cannondale Supersixes lately if that floats your boat.

Supersix Evo SRAM Red for similar money to the Canyon (£1899) from Pauls cycles.
  • patraz
    patraz wrote:
    g00se wrote:

I am actually living in Sweden, so unfortunately there is no option to try it.. And where I live the options are quite limited so I need to order from distance if i want to have a good deal.
  • patraz
    patraz wrote:
    g00se wrote:

Supersix Evo SRAM Red for similar money to the Canyon (£1899) from Pauls cycles.

That is not bad at all actually... I am not super familiar with the SPAM, but from what I found it is at the level of Shimano DuraAce. Is this correct? I only used Shimano until now, but is SPAM a good option?
    The only problem is that it seems thats Pauls cycles does not deliver bikes abroad and you should arrange this by your self. This might end up beeing quite expensive then.. I will send them an email to ask, but it might not be an easy option unfortunately.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Rose CGF is a super comfy ride. Follow their online sizing guide and then telephone them to confirm before/as you order.
    Can't advise on the wheels, haven't tried either.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    First of all, I'd look at the stack and reach on your current aluminuim bike and compare to stack and reach to the models you're looking at from Rose and Canyon. They may be less/more aggressive than your current bike, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Secondly, why only Rose and Canyon ? There's a whole world of carbon bikes out there. Giant (TCR/Defy/Propel) and Cannonade (Supersix/Synapse) are all roughly in the same ballpark price wise as Canyon and Rose
  • patraz
    Ste_S wrote:
    First of all, I'd look at the stack and reach on your current aluminuim bike and compare to stack and reach to the models you're looking at from Rose and Canyon. They may be less/more aggressive than your current bike, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Secondly, why only Rose and Canyon ? There's a whole world of carbon bikes out there. Giant (TCR/Defy/Propel) and Cannonade (Supersix/Synapse) are all roughly in the same ballpark price wise as Canyon and Rose

My aluminium bike is this: http://whitebikes.com/bikes/white-rr-pro/ but previous year version.
    After the comment of g00se and checking the comments and problems from Canyon, I am actually not considering any more them. On the other hand, I find interesting the proposal of darkhairedlord for the cannondale Supersix Evo SRAM Red, but need to wait for an answer from Pauls cycles how they could deliver it to Sweden and how much it will cost. If it is not high, I will go for this..

As for why RoseBikes, basically because its generally very well priced and they offer some 'custom-ability' on parts like wheels, etc. Now, if I find another option like the cannondale that darkhairedlord proposed on sales and especially in such good pricing then I am open to other options. Do you have anything to propose?
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I'd go for the X-Lite CRS and pay for an upgrade to some Mavic wheels if I was you. I think Rose offer terrific value, and a couple of mates have recently bought Rose bikes and are very pleased with them.
    As has been said above compare the geometry to your current bike and you should be fine.
    There is a Rose thread on the 'Your Road Bikes' section on the forum, probably worth having a look through that.
  • patraz
    Alex222 wrote:
    I'd go for the X-Lite CRS and pay for an upgrade to some Mavic wheels if I was you. I think Rose offer terrific value, and a couple of mates have recently bought Rose bikes and are very pleased with them.
    As has been said above compare the geometry to your current bike and you should be fine.
    There is a Rose thread on the 'Your Road Bikes' section on the forum, probably worth having a look through that.

Which Mavic wheels you think is worth to upgrade? Some options are Aksium Elite, Cosmic Elite 25. Ksyrium, all free upgrade and ksyrium elite (a bit more than 100 euros).
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Really depends on what your budget is. Ksyrium Elite are well regarded, I have the older version myself. I think it's worth spending a bit more on them.
    There are other members on the forum with lots more knowledge, if you utilise the search function there is a lot of information out there.
  • patraz
    What is your opionion about the Scott Solace 10 2015 (Dura Ace). It costs £1999 equipped with Syncros RP2.0 rims. With an extra £300 you upgrade with Cero AR30 Wheels and keep the other wheels also. Is it a good option? How is compared with X-Lite CRS and Supersix Evo SRAM Red (still waiting for an answer from Pauls Cycles but found it for £1999 in evanscycles). Which do you think is the best value for money? How are generally compared ultegra and dura ace against sram red? What about the wheelsets?