sram red aerolink alternative

thebadgerboy1982
thebadgerboy1982 Posts: 266
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I really don't like the sram red aerolink brakeset! Ive had them on my bike for about two years and hated the modulation, feel, spring tension, adjustment and the single pivot design. They never say tuned and cause problems throughout a ride. This isn't just due to my ham fisted ability but my regular lbs also have had a few goes at sorting them. New cables, cable length, various pads etc etc.

So, I'm looking for an alternative that will replace them. I was thinking trp or similar and around £200. The problem is i can't find any info about compatibility with sram red (new design but sadly not etap!). Id love a set of ee brakes but i can't stretch to them. There seems to be a lot of aftermarket brakes that work with shimano and mention a 2.5 lever ratio??

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• sven_jto
    sven_jto Posts: 183
    I've got force brakes with sram red new shifters. I've used shimano brakes too and works out fine. I'd say maybe you're losing a bit of wheel clearance but modulation is great... (I.e. i find that lever movement translates to maybe a bit smaller pad movement) But i never had problems and quite happy with force brakes... Shimano brakes were a bit better but quite heavier...
  • sven_jto
    sven_jto Posts: 183
    Im currently really pissed with sram though... Shift paddle broke on LH shifter I live in belgium now but bought groupset in Scotland. Belgian bike shops don't want to do warranty for me and sram only allows bike shops to do warranties