Peoples experience of evans cycles

Kwif007
Kwif007 Posts: 39
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Looking to buy a road bike, and had advice to buy from a local store, got a few near me, the closest is evans cycles, just wondering what peoples experiences have been?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I haven't had any particular issues with Evans. I haven't bought a bike from them though.
  • darren636
    darren636 Posts: 102
    My wife's commuter hack is an Evans cheap job.

Never had issues with them , first free service went perfectly fine, too.
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    As above, I've never had an issue with them.

My wife bought her first bike from them last year on Cycle to Work and it all went pretty smoothly.

Like any big chain store, the experience you have might depend somewhat on which branch you go to and which member of staff you see. It's never going to be quite the same as going into a local, independent bike shop but they're certainly not terrible.

The best advice is to suck it and see. Go into your local branch, see how it goes, and you can always walk away or try somewhere else if you're not 100% happy.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Have always found them good to deal with TBH. They replaced my bike's bottom bracket with an upgraded version free of charge after it failed prematurely (bike was purchased from them in December). They did it same day which I certainly wasn't expecting given I hadn't bothered to book it in, so had expected to be without the bike for days. Experience might differ from store to store though.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I bought my daughter a bike from a local (Cheltenham) Evans. Ordered online to collect in store.

They had no clue about who I was or what I'd ordered when I went to collect it, kept me waiting for ages while they finished it, and then bought me a bike out that wasnt anything like what I'd ordered. Sounds no big deal, but when you are collecting a bit a suprise bike for a 12 year old, it was annoying.
    I got no set up advise, or adjustment assistance and I had to ask specifically for the handbook etc. It was like collecting something from Argos.
    Im quite capable of setting up and checking a bike, and then doing first service but it wouldnt be good for those who couldnt. Ive not been back since.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Bought a bike from them, no problem at all. They even put a rack on for no charge while I waited (and looked around the candy store trying hard to resist further purchases).

Bought a pannier rack online from them. It came in a large box with half the fittings loose in it. Obviously I was missing some so I called local branch explained I was going away for the weekend and needed this rack. The guy told me to drop in and he'd give me the fittings from a similar rack in store. Turned up expecting problems but the staff on the counter just handed a sealed packet of all the fittings needed and I walked straight out. Took about 60 second to walk to the back of the shop where the counter was, get the parts and walk out of the door. No problems at all.

Ordered pedals online with a price match. Stupid me clicked buy on the wrong ones. Took them into stores and the manager swapped them for the ones I wanted. They were a320s and I had bought m320 pedals IIRC. Same full price but not when price matched. Absolutely no problem.

BTW that's Kendal branch so perhaps others just don't get the same service. It can be down to the staff in each Evans store. It's my go to store and has always offered better service than all the other local bike shops IME.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Bought a bike from them, no problem at all. They even put a rack on for no charge while I waited (and looked around the candy store trying hard to resist further purchases).

Bought a pannier rack online from them. It came in a large box with half the fittings loose in it. Obviously I was missing some so I called local branch explained I was going away for the weekend and needed this rack. The guy told me to drop in and he'd give me the fittings from a similar rack in store. Turned up expecting problems but the staff on the counter just handed a sealed packet of all the fittings needed and I walked straight out. Took about 60 second to walk to the back of the shop where the counter was, get the parts and walk out of the door. No problems at all.

Ordered pedals online with a price match. Stupid me clicked buy on the wrong ones. Took them into stores and the manager swapped them for the ones I wanted. They were a320s and I had bought m320 pedals IIRC. Same full price but not when price matched. Absolutely no problem.

BTW that's Kendal branch so perhaps others just don't get the same service. It can be down to the staff in each Evans store. It's my go to store and has always offered better service than all the other local bike shops IME.

Kendal my local branch as well, and have never had any trouble - in fact they know me by sight now. I have bought two bikes plus numerous other items from them over the years, and they have generally been very good. I suppose always asking for Evans vouchers for xmas and bdays means I will continue to use them!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    I've only ever bought clothing and parts from Evans (Chill Factore is my closest branch) and I've always had good service.

Would I buy a bike from them? Yes if was what I wanted.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I bought my Supersix from them. They price matched Pauls Cycles.

I buy loads of stuff like cassettes and rotors and the like from them. They price matched CRC.

They have a surprising amount of stuff which other would need to order in like single rings, lots of choice of Shimano bits.

I've bought a lot of lights from them.

In short I've never had an issue with them. I've not yet let them near any of my bikes
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    Having picked up new bike from their yesterday, I'll share my experience.

Had a couple of bikes in mind - inc 2 of their own brand (Pinnacle), so despite have previously brought all bikes online I figured I'd pop in store and actually try it. Went down, none of the range in stock... in any size (which I found quite bizarre).
    So I enquired about getting one into try...and it seems the norm that they ask you to pay a deposit which is fully refundable should you choose not to take the bike. Not sure what the purpose of this is - unless its lots of people asking for bikes in and then not turning up.
    Knowing I wanted to buy online, use a few vouchers and take advantage of the interest free credit - decided I'd just buy it online - so did. Went in to collect a few days later after they advised it was being built and took it home.
    Pretty soon realised it was not the right bike - and having de-stickered it - started checking the T&Cs of the "return" policy aware that you could swap bikes as much as you like.... this is only applicable ONCE after having ridden it tho!
    So a good clean with the baby wipes, back it went to the shop "unridden" :roll:
    Explained the geometry issues I had with it and after checking it over they asked if wanted refund or anything else...
    Said there was a couple of others -neither of which in stock.. so these were "ordered" in for me, thankfully I didnt need a further deposit on top of the hundreds I'd already committed to bike 1!

To avoid falling foul of the "ride 1 bike and swap it" rule... decided I'd take advantage of the test ride they offered and took them out straight from the shop (they let me add my own pedals etc). Took both bikes out back to back whilst they held onto my bank card and driving license. Was advised on a route that was about 5k... which I thought was quite significant and appreciated I had some scope to ride it "properly".
    Consequently happy enough with one of them, bit of faffing with refunds etc but eventually took one home.

So apart from keeping an eye on the T&Cs for the return policy and the bizarre stock/deposit system - I had a fairly good experience despite a bit of faff on my side.

Hope that helps
    Mike
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Like CarbonClem, I bought my Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra from the Cheltenham branch (last August) and mine was not a happy experience either. It started badly when, after agreeing that the bike would be set up and ready for collection at 1200 hrs, I actually turned up at the store at 1330 hrs to find that they hadn't even started to work on it. I went for a 'long walk' and returned 90 minutes later to find that it still was not ready and had to wait another 30 minutes. Things got worse when I asked the assistant in the shop to set the saddle height for me at 750mm and I knew I was in trouble when he got an tape measure and opened it to 7.5cm. From his apparent age, I would guess that he was earning a few quid by working at the store during the summer break but his inability to grasp the difference between 750mm and 7.5cm (even after I explained it!) was pretty alarming and a sad indictment of our education system (even if his mates/colleagues in the shop found it hilarious!). After all this, I had run out of time to go for a long check ride and had to get home. The next day, I went out for a ride fuelled by that now bike feeling but quickly realised that the gearing had not been set up properly and the chain jumped off the small ring at the front (luckily no damage). I went home and did a complete set up myself and since then the bike has been superb to the extent that there was no way that I was going back to Evans for the 'free' six week check as I dread what they might have done to it.

Would I buy another bike from Evans? Perhaps but only if the price was right and I couldn't get it anywhere else. On this occasion, the price was good but I only went to them after my LBS (a small independent outfit) were unable to supply my size. Having said that, I would also take any promises made by them with a large pinch of salt and expect to have to set the bike up properly once I got it home - that includes basic stuff like making sure that everything was as tight as it should be. I will also continue to use them for smaller, every day, purchases but always price match where necessary.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Kwif007
    Thanks for everyone's responses, seems like there are some different experiences depending on location.

Does anyone live in the Norwich area and have recommendations?
  • They were a LBS ...... just done well expanding. The click and collect and matching the price thing makes them a very attractive place and they try hard to provide a great service. I have lots of time for them. Oh and the King of the Downs sportive is a cracker.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    They gave me free Campag cables & outers when I bought turbos for a cycling club. They're usually well stocked, if you find a member of staff with the right knowledge and attitude they're great but they do employ a range of capabilities.
    Cardiff branch.
  • peteb0
    peteb0 Posts: 58
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Like CarbonClem, I bought my Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra from the Cheltenham branch

To provide some balance, I purchased my Supersix through the Cheltenham branch in September 2015 and had no issues with the service provided. I have since used the store for a number of other purchases for myself and the wifey, and always find the staff to be knowledgeable and friendly.

Any store is going to have 'variable' staff, but that is not to say the whole store, or indeed chain, should be tarnished with the same brush.
  • I picked up my bmc from Evans in Norwich as sadly Evans are the only people that stock them.
    The staff were friendly enough but not the most knowledgeable.
    I was put on a turbo trainer for about 10 seconds to be told it was the correct fit etc.
    I took the bike away and ended up setting up the gears again as it clearly wasn't done correctly.
    I found this all a bit disappointing as it wasn't a cheap purchase.

In my opinion the experience does not compare to a privately owned lbs.
    But they do some good deals and I guess each branch will vary depending on the skill of the staff.

No option if you want a BMC though :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    peteb0 wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Like CarbonClem, I bought my Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra from the Cheltenham branch

To provide some balance, I purchased my Supersix through the Cheltenham branch in September 2015 and had no issues with the service provided. I have since used the store for a number of other purchases for myself and the wifey, and always find the staff to be knowledgeable and friendly.

Any store is going to have 'variable' staff, but that is not to say the whole store, or indeed chain, should be tarnished with the same brush.

That's what I always say. Its who you speak to on the day.

Evans pay very low wages, employ a lot of younger people (because its cheaper I guess) on very low weekly hour contracts (so not in the store that often to give a monkeys).

This is probably due to everyone wanting everything as cheap as online stores, but in a retail outlet.
    So don't expect for it to be full of experts in cycling or life skills.

Cheltenham's premium bike shop have done odd things too.
    4K road bike handed over with 20psi in the tyres to name but one.
    If that were Evans/Halfords it would probably get more internet slagging off time made of it.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I know of one very knowledgeable chap at Evans in Norwich, so I guess it's down to who you get.

My first call in Norwich would be Streetlife though.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    They lost a sale from me about 10 years ago because they couldn't supply a bike without damaging the paint work. Two bikes had chips that I deem unacceptable on a £2k purchase. They don't seem to look after the bikes very well in store or transit. I would try to buy a bike from them again, but I'd probably go for delivery so it comes protected in a box until I get my hands on it.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Chris71127 wrote:
    I picked up my bmc from Evans in Norwich as sadly Evans are the only people that stock them.
    The staff were friendly enough but not the most knowledgeable.
    I was put on a turbo trainer for about 10 seconds to be told it was the correct fit etc.
    I took the bike away and ended up setting up the gears again as it clearly wasn't done correctly.
    I found this all a bit disappointing as it wasn't a cheap purchase.

In my opinion the experience does not compare to a privately owned lbs.
    But they do some good deals and I guess each branch will vary depending on the skill of the staff.

No option if you want a BMC though :roll:

true. I've got 2 bmc's and one was a frameset, which I built up. the other one was a full bike. the bike was set up ok, but they clearly cheap out on parts like cable outers etc. still overall, not bad. never used them for servicing.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Love the story of the bloke who collected the wrong bike. Just how wrong was it ?

Ordered stuff from Evans and they've been fine.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    A lot will depend on which Evans it is - staff can vary in any shop

I've been to MK to buy a bike and London Bridge for servicing - both fine; certainly a better service and experience than I've ever had with my LBS, sad to say.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anyone going to fess up to loving Evans for being so rubbish?

Returned something that they really should not have had exchanged/refunded?
    Got money off/something free because they are so clueless?
  • Kwif007
    Cheers guys, I am from Norwich so it would be that store i would use, I need to get myself to Streetlife by the sounds of it, as lots of recommendations, its just a bit awkward to get to for me within its open hours.

I wont get my cyclescheme voucher until end of April so should give me a chance to get there and have a discussion.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Had some recent dealings with Evans, mostly positive. The guys in my local store (Cambridge) have been very helpful about ordering different sizes and price matching stuff. I got some vouchers bought for me for whatever reason never turned up. A couple of calls to head office resolved the problem and they added an extra £5 for my inconvenience so good service ultimately. It's how you deal with things when they go wrong which is the real test of customer service. So far Evans seem to be getting it right.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    They were a LBS ...... just done well expanding.
    I'm a South London boy and the original Evans Cycles in Kennington Road was my LBS. I still remember being taken there by my dad in the early 1960s and being bought my first 'proper' bike and, indeed, getting a couple of others from them during my youth. Having said that, their days of being anything that even vaguely resembles a LBS are long gone.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I've got 2 bikes off them and both had really good discounts,so I cant complain.I've also bought loads of shop soiled stuff from them and had some right deals. I recommend the one in Leeds city centre, the staff are nice and polite.
  • Goatee
    Goatee Posts: 4
    Evans are in my black list, the only company in the list. I haven't bought a bike but twice I purchased from them and both times I had problems.
    Also, their prices aren't very good.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Kwif007 wrote:
    Cheers guys, I am from Norwich so it would be that store i would use, I need to get myself to Streetlife by the sounds of it, as lots of recommendations, its just a bit awkward to get to for me within its open hours.

I wont get my cyclescheme voucher until end of April so should give me a chance to get there and have a discussion.
    If you can get into Norwich City centre for a day then there are a few shops to look into.
    By car if you park at St. Andrews car park you can walk to Cycles UK in Pilch/Jarrolds ( Its a bit like Evans, stocking Wilier/Cannondale/Cube/Specalized), then on to Cycle Republic in Castle Mall (Halfords bike only shop) stocks Cinelli/Pinerello/13/Raliegh/Boardman. From there have lunch in Number12 Rouen Road (Owned by local cyclist and Bon viveur Russell Evans) before heading to the shop named after him (not) Evans Cycles on Westlgate, stocking BMC/cannondale/Fuji/Pinnacle/Hoy. Next walk up past the Library to Bethel St. and on to Pedalrevolution (large independent store, also has branch in Gorleston) stocks Trek/Focus/Cervelo/Giant. After this you have a bit of a walk to Streetlife, down St. Benedicts and along Dereham road to Nelson St. Streetlife stocks Specalized including S-Works/Colnago/Ridley and also has some custom builds.
    After all this have a pint in the Fat Cat opposite and mull it all over.
    I live in Norwich and have used all these shops at various times with varying service, Pedalrevolution have upped their game of late and Streetlife have always been very knowledgeable.
    Having said all this both my bikes are looked after by Borwell cycles on Spencer St.
  • Grahamsjz
    Grahamsjz Posts: 50
    I have only ever had good service from them, one bike (mtb), clothing and bits and pieces. I tend to order online and pick up at London Br store. Stuff always there on time as described. Bought mtb from their Marquee sale in Crawley - excellent price (as was the price of shoes, lights and pedals I did not go for.....)