what defines a chain-sets 'speed' compatibility

iwantblue
iwantblue Posts: 134
edited March 2016 in Workshop
By 'Speed', I'm referring to gearing as in 7-8-10-speed compatible ?

I need to purchase a square drive Bottom bracket and hence a new chain-set,

In searching for this I have come across some NOS vintage chains-sets which obviously are stated to be 7-8 speed compatible...

Does it follow that these chain-sets would also be absolutely fine with a 10 speed set-up in the rear ? and it's just that 10 speeds weren't available at the time , or has there been some technological advancement with big-ring technology that means these vintage chain-sets should only be paired with older 7-8 speed set-ups?

I can't see any reason why not, but can't afford to purchase to find it's a no-go after all...

I did wonder about chain sizes and whether its just chain thickness that's changed?

Effectively I just need to know if I can purchase and use such a NOS 80's-90's chain-set described as suitable for 7-8 speed will work just fine with a 10 speed cassette ?

Thanks

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    I am happily running a 9 SPEED chain through an old 90's 7 speed transmission- rear mech and chainset are original 7 speed RX100 7 speed and cassette is 7 speed also.It works fine.
    BUT I have tried using a 10 sped chain in its place and it doesn't seem happy at all- nothing to do with existing wear to the cassette it just doesn't like the rear mech.
    However, I didn't notice any problem at the front end with the chainset so you might be ok here.

You could always get a new Stronglight chainset - they are s'posed to be 9/10 speed compatible.
  • iwantblue
    Thanks, I would ideally be running a 10 speed cassette, but at least initially this is for a turbo mounted bike for physio/recuperation , I like the idea of the vintage set-up so that it could end up on my 80's Raleigh once it has done its physio duties and found a late 70's 600 aero set that floats my boat so to speak as I remember adding an upgradede 600 set of levers on it back in the day...

Stronglight and SJS have a couple of options I just fancied something pretty and couldn't really seewhy it wouldn't be compatible really..

Cheers..

anyone else run vintage chainset with modern cassette?>
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Good article here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

You 'should' be fine particularly given that you are using the bike for turbo. The bigger issues folks usually face are around BB compatibility so I would double check that.
  • iwantblue
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Good article here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

You 'should' be fine particularly given that you are using the bike for turbo. The bigger issues folks usually face are around BB compatibility so I would double check that.

Thanks for that... I should have thought to just check the Bible I guess :)

Indeed I am only proposing to use a vintage chainset purely as i need to use a square taper for the physio add-on and rather than not have a use for it once I am fit again I thought it could perform upgrade duty on my 1980's Raleigh Sirocco.

Thanks for the pointer :) I missed out on my ebay attempt :( so a little more time to search now :)

Thanks again.