QR skewers, TA and Hubs questions

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all,

1)When they give QR sizes I. E. 5mm x 135mm I uunderstand it's DIA x length??

2) what QR do I have in my Anthem x2 2013 26'' is a 10sp??

3)buying rear hub for the above bike what details spec should I look for?? (10sp cassette Shimano HG62)

4)Front TA on my bike it's 15mm Thru-axe I understand it's the DIA but what length??

5)buying front hub for the above bike / axe what spec should I look for??

Thereis so many option when it comes to the hubs so iI don't want to spend £100+ on the hub which doesn't fit!!!

I am looking at Hope pro / pro 2 for 10sp cassette.

Many thanks for any explanation.

Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1/ Sort of, that's QR diamater (the axle will be a 10mm at the rear) and the 135mm is OLD (Over Locknut Distance) or the 'internal frame width' if you prefer.

2/ No Idea, why not show a photo?

3/ OLD, axle standard, spoke hole count and freehub (for any Shimano cassette you just need Shimano compatible, 8,9,10 and 11 speed are the same freehub).

4/ Standard (which yours will be) is 100mm OLD, only fatbikes and the new 'Boost' are different.

5/ 15mm TA 100mm OLD.

What makes you think you need new hubs? You shouldn't in that time!

Usually cheaper to buy compete wheels and sell your old ones, new hubs will almost certainly mean new spokes (flange sizes and position will be different) so you are looking at the cost of the hub, plus £25-30 for spokes plus any build cost just to re-use your old rim.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    Thank you Rookie, helpful as always!

Will attach a photo of my rear QR when back home.

Would something like this fit: https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-hoops ... 60022.html:

Well, was thinking of upgrading my wheels anyway, but now the hub doesn't move freely I mean when not pedaling the cassette doesn't spin freely and when pushing the bike the chain, cassette etc should spin but it does!!

I am in the process of stripping down the rear hub at the mo and will give it a good clean, lube etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the rear qr slides out and is a shaft approx 5mm across you have a normal 10x135 qr rear and that hub will fit, if you have a different standard then it may not!

Sounds like you just need to remove the freehub and give the ratchet mechanism a clean and regrease.

Not unusual for the peddles to spin when pushing a bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    It's likely a normal QR rear hub is what your after. The newer Giants have a convertible rear, so even though mine has a through axle rather than a QR on the rear it still uses a QR hub.

One of the advantages of the hope hubs is the ability to convert them, including the rear. I plan on converting mine to 142x12, will only need to convert the hub and the rear dropout/mech hanger (unlikely yours will have changeable dropouts though)
  • kinioo
    Yep, 135x9mm QR rear and 15mm TA front it's what I need.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rear QR will be 10mm. Front QR is 9mm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kinioo
    cooldad wrote:
    Rear QR will be 10mm. Front QR is 9mm.

Rear is 135 x 9mm front is tru-axe 15mm.

C.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Missed my point. Rear QR is 10mm. Front QR is 9mm. General comment not relating to your specific bike. Your rear will be 10mm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kinioo
    cooldad wrote:
    Missed my point. Rear QR is 10mm. Front QR is 9mm. General comment not relating to your specific bike. Your rear will be 10mm.

I didn't CD, I think you are correct!!!

Just didn't realise I had already posted my comment - was using my phone though it didn't work.

Sorry,

C.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:

ooh-matron-with-text.gif