Giant Defy and SKS or other mudguards

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Looking at replacing my SCR with another GIant but hear that you can only fit giant own mudguards these days onto them, so no Chromoplastics, is that true? Does anyone run a Defy with SKS chromoplastic or other non-Giant specific mudguards?
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    There was a Defy 1 2013 model for sale on the forum a few months ago that the seller had fitted SKS full 35mm longboards to, with the standard tektro calipers and 23mm tyres. Others have struggled, especially with 25mm tyre, not sure whether you could you fit the same model mudguards on the current Defy range.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13059754
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I don't know the answer to the SKS question but will say that there is not a lot wrong with the Giant Defy mudguards. I've got them on my Allez and they work just fine.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • gabriel959
    Thanks,

One think I have noticed is that the new Defy uses short reach callipers as opposed to the long reach ones on my SCR.

Can you use 25mm tyres under the specific Giant Mudguards?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • I have a 2012 defy with the giant mudguards and can easily run GP4000 25's, these run quite large so I would imagine I could just about fit 28's on there depending on brand. This is with 105 callipers as opposed to the Tektro ones supplied with the bike
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    In short, yes - 25mm Continental GP 4 Seasons (under Shimano 105 5800 brakes) in my case.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I have a 2013 bike and use the narrow Defy specific mudguards under 6700 Ultegra brake calipers and run a 25mm Giant PSLR-2 front and 25mm Panaracer Race D EVO 2 rear. These http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gea ... 592/54781/

There are also these for the D-Fuse frame http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gea ... 592/73459/
  • gabriel959
    Thanks guys, I am still debating if completely re-haul my current winter bike (i.e get Tiagra 4700, respray the SCR frame myself, get new handlebars, etc) or get a new Defy.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x