Rear wheel, 130kg cyclist, 8 mile commute.

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi.

This is a 'investigation' type thread given that I've bust the freehub on my btwin 500se and looking at it, it's probably easiest to get a new rear wheel.

I know absolutely nothing about wheels, other than they should be round, have an axle, and I get through them quickly either through bending or scrubbing the axle.

However, I keep on getting told that even at my ideal weight, I'd be 110kg, so looking for something really quite strong. So, given my road bike is a 8 mile each way commuter, what's a reasonable amount of money to spend on a wheel that might be more suited to a tourer/gravel bike than a roaddie? And given that cash, what should I be looking for?

Cheers
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Have a look at the hand built thread and then get in touch with the Cycle Clinic or one of the other options. Anything else is just folly.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    As above, handbuilts definitely the way forward.

Try an email to DCR or the Cycle Clinic. On the DCR website, have a look at the Wheelset Suggestions page. If you scroll right down there is a section on wheels for heavier riders. There is a H Plus Son rim recommended which David suggests is good for riders up to 160kg.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Thanks, I've been slowly reading the HB thread, loads of history & knowledge to absorb. I've pinged DCR out of curiosity.

I'm trying to work out if it's worth getting something like a set or 2 Shimano R501's at £63 a pair and running them into the ground, minimizing the initial outlay on rim's before I upgrade the bike next year to include disc brakes.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Thanks, I've been slowly reading the HB thread, loads of history & knowledge to absorb. I've pinged DCN out of curiosity.

I'm trying to work out if it's worth getting something like a set or 2 Shimano R501's at £63 a pair and running them into the ground, minimizing the initial outlay on rim's before I upgrade the bike next year to include disc brakes.

Not unless you like walking in cycling shoes.

Handbuilts does not necessarily mean huge dosh. Prices start about £200 for a set. You need good rims and a large number of spokes, 3x, etc. A good wheel builder will talk you through all this and also help in the choice of a vfm hub (sounds like you don't want something to last forever like a DA hub so the price will drop accordingly). Malcolm from the Cycle Clinic (a regular poster on here) is very good at walking through your options and pricing.

Let's face it, you are a big lad and you need a bike that is up to it. Cycling regularly and eating healthy will help to get your weight down so when it comes to getting a new bike next year, if you can get under 100kg then your options will open up a little. There's a target for you. Hit it, feel good and reap the rewards. Good luck.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Thanks, I've been slowly reading the HB thread, loads of history & knowledge to absorb. I've pinged DCR out of curiosity.

You really need to consider a wheel with a decent spoke count. I don't think the R501's will last very long.

Something like this maybe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-REAR-Roa ... SwAL9UcRMA
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    As already suggested, go for a hand built 36 spoke wheel with a quality hub and 23mm wide rim, if you're bike has the clearance.
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    While saving money for my handbuilts (I'm 108 kg, but regularly have 10 to 15 kg in the rucksack) I've been using pro-lite gardas from wiggle. Cost me £137(ish) and slightly cheaper at the mo. Still true after 8 months commuting, several cross races and the odd sportive. Spoke count not great so if they do go they're a bugger to get back, but they've taken an absolute hammering through the winter and been trued twice to date.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The h plus son archetype rim is the only rim that is worth considering (stout touring rims will also work and are cheaper like the rigida sputnik). Mate them to cartridge bearing hubs with big 6001 bearings or shimano hubs (105 or ultegra) and you will have a wheelset that lasts. triple butted spokes help too. the receipie is very simple. Whoever build them ask for that.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • wolfsbane2k
    The h plus son archetype rim is the only rim that is worth considering (stout touring rims will also work and are cheaper like the rigida sputnik). Mate them to cartridge bearing hubs with big 6001 bearings or shimano hubs (105 or ultegra) and you will have a wheelset that lasts. triple butted spokes help too. the receipie is very simple. Whoever build them ask for that.

Thanks. I was on your website today looking around, so the feedback is appreciated.
    Its a bit of a bugger that a set of wheels will cost more than the bike did originally, but I guess that's the price to pay :-(