need some help

kenyanscott
kenyanscott Posts: 26
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Everyone

so today, doing some work on my bike - the gears have been giving me a bit of jip for a couple of weeks, nothing major but I wanted it fixed - and to add to that Ive been wanting to learn more about bike repair myself so I can do that instead of go to shops and pay for someone else to do it.

in short, I needed to replace by rear gear cable, I did that but in the process broke my shifter, its still changing the gears but I just can see the gear I am in, and the casing is broken too,

the shifter is a combo easy shifter shimano with the brake leaver and gear in the same housing.

Now..........

I thought to myself lets use this as an opportunity, so I went an ordered a set of Clark M2 hydraulic brakes rear and front with the levers, and Ill be fitting them during the week (im excited about this, sad I know).

but I realised I need a set of shifter that are independent now, since these are not combo.

Here in is my problem.

what shifters do I get? I run a 3 x 8 Shimano cassette at the back, and its a shimano altus set up.

Ive been looking at grip shifters and I dunno if they are any good or not?

but ive also seen these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-acera-m360-trigger-shifter-set/rp-prod107277?gs=1&gclid=CjwKEAjw8bO3BRDp0bP_vL-7_lASJACL_d6wmMaMza0kEwsyONEElgRcF2ovE6gForQl55rHVQzGUhoCWZ7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

or do I go for something else , since I will need the pair, all help and suggestions welcome.

good news my gears are working lol

Comments