New bike for taller person

Kwif007
Kwif007 Posts: 39
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm going to be getting my first Road bike at the end of April.

I am just under 6"5, have an inside leg of just under 34" and a negative arm span.

The bike I'm looking at is from wiggle so can't try before I buy unfortunately, just wondering if there was anyone who could validate that I'm not buying a completely unsuitable bike, the sizing guide seems to indicate the bike is fine, but I get a bit lost when it comes to understanding how my reach will affect it.

The bike I'm looking at is this
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/avanti-giro-ar-1-2016/

Any comments would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,142
    tbh the only way to know is try the bike

it's not simply your physical measurements that count, things like flexibility, core strength etc. also make a difference to the 'correct' size and setup

bikes are adjustable

getting saddle height/setback/angle right for you is the starting point, then you worry about where the bars are

if you've not had a bikefit, you'll need to experiment once you get it, from what you say it's probably ok as far as frame size goes, but maybe you'll decide you want to change stem length and/or bar height
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Kwif007
    Thanks, really appreciate your thoughts. In terms of those adjustments I'm guessing I can just buy upgrades that can allow finer adjustments to the bars?

I assume there is only certain adjustments that the original setup can cope with before an upgrade is needed?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,142
    the saddle will be adjustable as is - seat post for height, saddle clamp for setback and angle

to change bar position often involves swapping parts, though if there's a stack of spacers under the stem you'll be able to lower/raise the bars to change position simply by moving spacers above/below the stem - but get the saddle position correct first

this is a good, non-dogmatic, source of info on such things...

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... can-it-be/
    https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... oad-bikes/

bear in mind that the 'correct' position varies with fitness/experience and also objectives/intent, if you are new to road cycling it's quite likely that what is best for you will change fairly quickly

if you read anything claiming there is one correct position and/or giving a mathematical formula to determine position, run away!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As you will be at the top end if the bikes size you may find the bars a bit low. If you do just flip the stem into the upright position, the bike shop can do this on a test ride easily enough if needed. The other thing is the saddle may be too narrow for you. Easily sorted just measure your sit bones and buy a saddle of the right width.
  • Kwif007
    Cheers for the info guys, really appreciated.

One question how on earth do I measure my sit bones :oops: