Front Derailleur Height

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

I've been trying to eliminate as much chain rub as I can on my Tiagra front derailleur (double chainset). When in the small chain ring and using higher gears I can get rid of the rub by using the trim function on the shifter.

However, when in the big and in the higher gears (small cogs at the back) im still getting some chain rub. I can eliminate this by increasing cable tension using the barrel adjuster on the shifter. However if I do this it then messes up the shifting when in the small chain ring.

After reading that Shimano derailleurs should be positioned about 2-3mm above the rings, I noticed my derailleur may be set a bit too high.

I've attached a photo (yes I really should give it a good clean) and would appreciate a 2nd opinion on this.

fderailleur.jpg

I wondered if this maybe affecting my shifting?.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    go here... http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/19

determine which model fd you have

follow shimano's instructions to set it up
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mtbjunkie08
    mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
    Yes it says 1-3mm, so I suspect mines too high?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You have to measure from the tallest teeth - they're not all the same.

First thing I would do is clean your chain and everything else. That filth can't be helping.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    However, when in the big and in the higher gears (small cogs at the back) im still getting some chain rub. I can eliminate this by increasing cable tension using the barrel adjuster on the shifter. However if I do this it then messes up the shifting when in the small chain ring.

Sounds like you need to adjust the stop. As mentioned above get the Shimano instructions for your derailleur and it will explain fully. If still unsure check YouTube and watch the appropriate guide. It is really simple once you know how!

PP