Full-sus advice for the clueless!

tommyguns
tommyguns Posts: 7
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello all! Another newbie here wondering if I can please beg a bit of expert MTB advice.

I've been thrashing a budget hard-tail around the slopes for a good couple of years now and the poor thing is struggling to hold onto its pedals, so have finally decided to spring for the full-sus option. Sadly though I'm no expert and have been somewhat saturated by choice - therefore am hoping someone in the know might be able to give me a bit of direction.

To narrow it down initially - I've already opted into the Ride to Work scheme at Evans, so an easy sell for them. Budget is in the £2k ballpark (with a bit of wiggle room if necessary) and am probably looking for a 650b wheel (having tried a friends and liked it a lot). After that it's generally wide open, although I thought a dropper post would be a useful addition too. General riding will be XC and downhill trails.

I've seen three potentials so far, links below:

Norco Sight C7.4 - https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-sight ... e-EV243375
Trek Fuel Ex 8 - https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fuel-e ... e-EV251298
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR - https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV248200

Have been leaning in the direction of Norco based on the carbon frame, but many of the tech specs are lost on me. Would anyone mind giving me some pointers?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    They all look like they come with dropper posts from the pictures although it's not mentioned in the specifications???

In my limited opinion, the equipment on the Norco looks very low spec, Deore at best - Trek looks higher spec with Fox suspension both ends but personally I'd go for the Specialized as I own one and love it.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just to clarify, when you say downhill tracks you don't mean you'd be riding down Fort Williams DH tracks do you.

That's quite important to know because those bikes you're looking at would be a bit underbiked for such, where exactly in the world would it be?

The downs? Lakes? Wales? Peaks? It's a better indicator of the type of bike you'd need.

That aside, all of them are very capable bikes, especially for someone new to a full suss, they'd all feel a huge step up and would serve you well. But if you're looking for value this isn't bad - https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-sight ... e-EV243376

Pike fork, debonair can, 1x11 setup, deore brakes, reverb dropper and so on.

Just wait for the number of posts that'll recommend their own bikes, even if they're not sold by Evans.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'd go for the Stumpjumper. It's a really great frame and an excellent ride.
    The Norco has a better spec but the frames aren't great quality. They very quickly look very old and start to rattle like an Orange.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you sure you can spend £2k as that would be unusual for ride to work schemes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Rookie wrote:
    Are you sure you can spend £2k as that would be unusual for ride to work schemes.

I was going to ask that. Schemes are normally limited to £1k.

If you can get away with £2k then the Stumpjumper gets my vote.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • spr000
    spr000 Posts: 24
    Aren't you allowed to add to that so up to £1000 from scheme then add cash yourself?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    No. You are not buying the bike, your employer is. You are then leasing it from your employer via salary sacrifice. Technically it is not your bike until you have made the final payment.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • spr000
    spr000 Posts: 24
    I know that is the legal status regarding ownership but we all know the employer doesn't want a bunch of bikes. Anyway this suggests it depends on the employer (and I guess the scheme).

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/help/faqs ... me-package
  • rockmonkeysc
    You can't top it up because for tax reasons you're leasing the bike so can't half own and half lease it.
    Legally you're employer can just give it to you at the end of the lease but you then have to pay tax on it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They have altered the rule here - you can now top it up (with some schemes), but the bike still belongs to your employer.

I have to say it has surprised me just how little bike you get for this cash nowadays.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Briggo wrote:
    Just to clarify, when you say downhill tracks you don't mean you'd be riding down Fort Williams DH tracks do you.

That's quite important to know because those bikes you're looking at would be a bit underbiked for such, where exactly in the world would it be?

not underbiked at all - you just can't ride it as fast as you could with a DH bike
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    They have altered the rule here - you can now top it up (with some schemes), but the bike still belongs to your employer.

I have to say it has surprised me just how little bike you get for this cash nowadays.
    HMRC last changed their guidance in July 2012 when they clarified the FMV aspect, as always there MUST NOT be an automatic right to buy at the end of the scheme or it fails the very basis of the scheme as a lease and not hire purchase scheme.

I don't think there has ever been a rule precluding topping up, but as you don't own the bike and there is no right to buy you are risking losing the full value of the top up (though in reality the risk is tiny).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Out of the three I would go with the specialized.
    If you are prepared to gamble and add a few quid, I just treated myself to a whyte t130 recently and its a cracking bike. Sure it would meet your requirements if Evans can get one in.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    POAH wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

not underbiked at all - you just can't ride it as fast as you could with a DH bike

Lets get an Apollo then.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A decent, modern trail bike can get down a DH trail at a reasonable pace. I can ride the FoD downhill trails faster on my trail bike than my DH bike but go somewhere like Gawton and I have to miss out the biggest jumps and the steep, tech sections need to be ridden fast to get through them clean but on the trail bike it feels like I'm millimetres from serious injury.
    You need the right bike for the majority of your riding.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Briggo wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

Lets get an Apollo then.

have you riden the course? I'd quite happily do it on my hornet, be slower than what I was on my ghost but still ride it and have fun.
  • Thanks for all the replies guys.

I did wonder about the rules for topping up Ride to Work but having checked the Evans FAQ it does clearly say you can add to the value of the certificate. Whether it lies at the discretion of the employer too I'm not sure - has anyone here had any issues doing this themselves?

Riding wise, generally I stick around the Surrey hills with the odd trip to Bike Park Wales during the summer - that's about as extreme as I get these days. Can I assume I'm looking in the right ballpark? Any thoughts on carbon vs alloy - does it make a big difference?

Still mulling over my options anyway but sounds like the Specialized has a few votes - will be doing some test riding this week hopefully.
  • JGTR
    At your price range carbon will mean significantly lower spec components. Personally I'd never go Carbon as I'd be paranoid about damaging it.
  • The Rookie
    Which is irrational as a carbon frame is more impact resistant than Aluminium, an impact that will severely dent an Al tube (rendering the frame scrap) would do little more than scuff a Carbon frame.

I'd be careful about doubling the voucher value depending on how the scheme terminates, if your company use the P11D route you will be liable to the tax on 25% of £2000 (if administered correctly), so if a higher rate tax payer over £200.
  • JGTR
    I'd beg to differ, carbon cracks, alloy dents. I'd happily ride a dented frame but not a cracked carbon frame. Obviously within reason, a serious impact would scrap any frame.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Different types of weakness, carbon is more open to flung up sharp rock damage but is stronger from an impact stress POV I believe. seen a fair few where big rocs fling up and seem to put a crack in them, but in a big nose dive you are far more likely to bend an alu frame than break a carbon.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Carbon has better impact resistance than aluminium. Cracks in carbon aren't necessarily terminal, they won't propagate as easily through the weave of carbon as they will through a metal.
  • A bit on the budget. If the company has something called (if I remember right!) a consumer credit license (can't really remember the name!) you can go up to £4.5k for cycle to work. I was checking out options on bike radar last week so I hope it's still accurate!
  • Since posting I've spoken to numerous colleagues regarding Ride to Work. In MY company, it transpires the trick is basically just to keep it quiet. Take the voucher, add what you want, say nothing. I did speak to one chap who had asked for permission to top up and was fiercely refused, but those who had just gone ahead had heard nothing further. I dare say this may be the case for the majority of employers who just don't want complications at the end of the lease.