New forks

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
So I'm in the process of contemplating some new forks, currently have rockshox revs, looking ton upgrade to pikes and jump up to 150mm travel from 140mm but seeing although my bikes a trek, it uses g2 geometry from what I can find means it have a fork offset of 51, I can't seem to find the pike in 650b in a 51 offset only 46? Will this make much of a difference? With my jumping up a travel size too?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What model Trek is it?
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    If you go through tf tuned you can ask them to put together a hybrid fork, a csu from a 29er fitted with a 27.5 lowers, 51mm rake is used mostly on 29er forks, I doubt if you can find anything like it through a bike store as is a OE trek item

If you decide to use a 46mm raked fork will make your steering feel a bit 'heavier' at slow speeds and more stable at higher speed
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Dawesy92
    supersonic wrote:
    What model Trek is it?
    Trek remedy 7 (650b 2014)
    Herdwick wrote:
    If you go through tf tuned you can ask them to put together a hybrid fork, a csu from a 29er fitted with a 27.5 lowers, 51mm rake is used mostly on 29er forks, I doubt if you can find anything like it through a bike store as is a OE trek item

If you decide to use a 46mm raked fork will make your steering feel a bit 'heavier' at slow speeds and more stable at higher speed

With how described that I think I'd go for the shorter offset lol, would have thought if I went up to 150 from 140 too it wouldn't bring the front wheel much closer either would it?
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    I stuck a standard 150mm Pike on mine along with a 50mm stem and it was absolutely fine.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Dawesy92
    I stuck a standard 150mm Pike on mine along with a 50mm stem and it was absolutely fine.

I like the comment. A lot... :D
  • Herdwick
    I agree, it will make handling at speed more stable and less twitchy, go for the shorter offset.
    Upgrading to a pike won't make any sense to go 150mm, pike has twice the quality of dampening the hits and way stiffer than the revs, tracking will be more accurate as feedback. so why raise your front end without any real benefit? Stay at 140mm pike, your abilities will give up way before than a pike at 140. :)
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Dawesy92
    Herdwick wrote:
    I agree, it will make handling at speed more stable and less twitchy, go for the shorter offset.
    Upgrading to a pike won't make any sense to go 150mm, pike has twice the quality of dampening the hits and way stiffer than the revs, tracking will be more accurate as feedback. so why raise your front end without any real benefit? Stay at 140mm pike, your abilities will give up way before than a pike at 140. :)

Haha, yeah fair point.. only thought about going up to 150mm for abit more play really, also cause there's a possibility of a new frame this year or next.. which will want 150mm or is it easy to change the travel on pikes?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Very easy, but as 140mm 650b pikes are a lot rarer I'd just go with 150mm, it's unlikely to have any real negative effect.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    As above, 140mm 650b Pikes are very rare. Dropping travel on them isn't a quick job.
    150mm will be fine.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    As above, 140mm 650b Pikes are very rare. Dropping travel on them isn't a quick job.
    150mm will be fine.

its a piss easy 10 minute job to change the travel in pikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:
    150mm will be fine.

its a wee-wee easy 10 minute job to change the travel in pikes.

It is once you have the parts and taken the time to read the manual. The parts aren't all that cheap.
  • poah
    POAH wrote:
    150mm will be fine.

its a wee-wee easy 10 minute job to change the travel in pikes.

It is once you have the parts and taken the time to read the manual. The parts aren't all that cheap.

£25 for a new air shaft isn't expensive and you can get second hand ones cheaply. i'd probably give my 150/140 26/650b one away
  • rockmonkeysc
    But since someone else has said from experience that the bike rides great with 150mm Pikes why bother dropping them?
  • poah
    well one persons view isn't gospel - not everyone wants to run more travel but thats not what were discussing so stop trying to deflect from the fact you were wrong ;)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Wrong about what?
    Changing travel isn't as straightforward as it was with older Rockshox forks. A lot of people wouldn't want to take on a job like that themselves.
    You say it's a ten minute job, half an hour is closer but after you have spent time finding the manual, reading it, buying parts and lubricants, preparing a spotlessly clean work area and actually doing the job.
  • Dawesy92
    Now now people, we're all friends here, I only asked a little question, think no will go with 150mm as I've found some online and a great price, plus, with a possible new frame later this year or early next which will warrant 150mm it also makes sense!! :)
  • Dawesy92
    Ended up buying fox 34 CTD in the end, as it was a bargain as they are brand new, still 150me travel though!! Be with me next week!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's a good reason why they're a bargain I'm afraid. They're absolutely terrible. You honestly couldn't find a worse 150mm fork. The damping is extremely bad and they flex like a wet noodle.
    Send them back and get something good.
  • Herdwick
    Congrats, you just bought a useless fork!
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • poah
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Ended up buying fox 34 CTD in the end, as it was a bargain as they are brand new, still 150me travel though!! Be with me next week!!

Jesus_facepalm.jpg
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    The 2015 was a little better than the 2014 version from the limited time I spent on one but really you'll see little improvement unfortunately for your outlay. It's really a bad matching fork for the DRVC rear end on the Trek which needs something with equally supple small bump compliance, like a Pike. Even an X-Fusion would have been a better option and probably a similar price for a new 2016 version.

If you purchased by Credit Card online you can still cancel the order. If fact you can cancel regardless at this point as you've yet to take delivery which make things easier for you. I would in all honesty and go with a Pike or X-Fusion with the rough cut damper to gain HSC adjustment. You bike deserves a better performing fork than the 34 CTD!
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Herdwick
    I hope you read all the above and allready cancelled the order :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Dawesy92
    Nope, keeping them, they'll be better than the revs for what I ride.. I'll see what I feel like when I get them.. thanks anyway for all the comments and advise.. going off alot of people I know and 2 bike shops, who all told me to go for them as they'll be better than what I've already got.. :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    They won't be. I'd take Revs over a 34 CTD anytime. The Revs are better in every way.
    I wouldn't say the Revs are amazing but they're a decent enough trail fork. Flex is the worst thing about the. The 34 CTD is the worst modern fork I have ridden, worse flex than the Revs and absolutely shocking damping.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Another doomed buyer..
  • rockmonkeysc
    You can't go too wrong buying forks these days. Even X Fusion and Suntour are making great forks.
    The 34 CTD is an exception. It's a terrible fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm bookmarking that comment!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.