Painting my mountain bike

Mattpriday7
Mattpriday7 Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone this is my first post.

I bought a second hand specialized hardrock in red and white. And although it's a pretty nice bike I would rather a different colour can anyone suggest where I could get it painted?

Or is it easy enough to do yourself. Thanks for your help

Comments

• cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I've just had my Transition powder coated. Cost me £40 and is a really good job.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd leave the colour and upgrade forks and other bits instead, if it's still standard.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cubedean wrote:
    I've just had my Transition powder coated. Cost me £40 and is a really good job.

Can I ask where you had this done?
    What is it like to take your bike apart and put back together.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    cubedean wrote:

Can I ask where you had this done?
    What is it like to take your bike apart and put back together.

I used a local refinishing company. I've been building bikes for as long as I can remember so no problem really, it's the best way to learn the mechanics of your bike.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I have painted 3 of my previous bikes and I started on a old bike to get my eye in - Its pretty simple really, I would say its totally do-able to do it yourself and its good fun. Of course powder coating is an option but still worth considering doing yourself.

A few words of advice though if you do consider doing it yourself (below is assuming you are using rattle cans):

* Strip everything you can off the bike and make sure you have the tools to put it all back on again, The bottom bracket / Headset can remain in but tape them up fully so no paint can get in. also put vaseline in any exposed screw holes - this will stop paint sticking to those areas.
    * Once stripped clean the bike then clean it again - Any dirt will totally screw the finish
    * remove the decals then give the whole bike a good key with sandpaper (start with 80 grit then 120 and finish with a super fine maybe a 200 grit), no need to remove the old paint as a good key should be all you need.
    * Clean off the bike with a lint free cloth and some white spirit/paint prep making sure the frame is given time to dry
    * Pick up some primer (£1 from poundland) and give it at least 3 coats with a light sanding between each coats and 45 minutes to dry between each coat. If you have deep scratches then some repair primer is better as it will fill those in for you.
    * Get your chosen colour then do light passes about 6-10 inches from the frame - Its really important to take your time and build up layers give at least 1 hour between each coat, The first layer will look crap and so will the 2nd but after the 3rd and 4th it will start to come good. The trick is to ALWAYS keep the can moving otherwise you will get runs.
    * Once your colour is on leave to dry for 24 hours put on your decals (if you have new ones) then hit it with clear coat, You can either do shiny gloss or matt. Repeat the process above 3/4 layers with 1 hour in between and a light key after each coat (apart from the final coat obviously)
    * Leave to cure for 48 hours in a warmish (ideally very dry) place.

BINGO!

The above seems like a ball-ache but its totally satisfying seeing it come together, In terms of quality if you take your time and do it right you will be hard pressed to notice any difference to a shop sprayed bike.

The last spray job I did cost me about £25 for all the bits (sandpaper / primer / spray paint / clear coat / decals / white spirit).

The only downside other than the hard graft is that the finish won't be as durable as a proper powder coating, that being said I had a sprayed hardtail MTB that I used through rain / snow / grit and dirt for 2 years and the paint was still in great condition (few small paint chips as to be expected).

Anyway just my thoughts.
  • Craig24
    Craig24 Posts: 150
    Triple S always get good reviews for powder coating of MTB frames.

http://www.triple-s.co.uk/prices.htm

Think your looking at about £50 - £60. Park Tools website and youtube have plently of videos / guides for stripping down a bike and rebuilding.