Dangerous Junction for cyclists - Who to hold to account?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited May 2016 in Campaign
Hi.

In the last 6 months, I've had 2 minor accidents, and a lot of close calls at a junction where a side road joins the main road which has a well marked out cycle lane as part of the main road, and the main road is typically solid with waiting cars for the roundabout 100 meters further down the road.

Due to the way that cars (and their drivers) allow each other in/out across the road, those crossing don't check the cycle path, despite the cycle lane being very clearly marked with a change in road colour and a dotted line, drivers just don't look for cyclists - either those drivers entering from the side road, or exiting onto the side road. Thankfully I've not had a single overtake & left hook here.

There has been a plan (for approx 14 years) to replace the junction and move the side road onto the roundabout, but it's still no closer to being implemented, therefore I want something doing now. I want to petition whoever is responsible for the area around the junction, and that preceeding it by 1 car length to be marked with a yellow box to prevent cars stopping in the area, and therefore improving visibility of cyclists in the cycle lane to those looking to enter the side road.

Unfortunately, because Crashmap.co.uk hasn't been updated, I don't know how many other accidents have occurred at this junction to lend weight to the argument.

I've tried going around the outside of the stationary traffic, to get a close call with someone coming out of the side road, and I've considered just waiting behind the traffic, but that spoils the point of the cycle path.

But I'm not sure who to petition to get this done. Is it the local council's road department? Should I get Sustrans involved somehow? Should I go to my MP?

How has anyone else got involved on dangerous junction design and managed to make a change?

Thanks in advance.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    I'd have thought your local MPs surgery is a good first point of call.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,860
    Your own county councillor and the county councillor responsible for roads are people who can make things happen. It might also be worth doing a Freedom of Information request if you think there is shilly-shallying going on - whether they have identified it as a dangerous junction, but are dragging their feet - that's the sort of thing local press would be interested in. If you can pull a really glum face, get the local rag to come out and tell them "it's only a matter of time before someone is killed here".
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    Report your concerns to the road safety officer at your local authority in the first instance. It is often better to speak to the person responsible rather than through a third party who will probably fail to pass on all relevant information accurately.
    Councillors and MPs need only be approached if those responsible are not responding satisfactorily.
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    If you have a speed over 20 mph, then I beleave that car drivers do not see you
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    So, am I reading this right? There's a junction you feel is dangerous but you want to ride through it at over 20mph? Or am I reading two separate things and putting them together? I'm not sure how a box junction will help as that will leave it clear for traffic exiting the side road and make it even more likely they'll just drive out. Unfortunately it's an issue that arises at pretty much any junction where a cycle crosses a side road when the main road has slow moving or stationary traffic. All you can do is ride defensively and assume someone will pull out. I have this on numerous junctions on the last mile of my commute.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Pross wrote:
    So, am I reading this right? There's a junction you feel is dangerous but you want to ride through it at over 20mph? Or am I reading two separate things and putting them together? I'm not sure how a box junction will help as that will leave it clear for traffic exiting the side road and make it even more likely they'll just drive out. Unfortunately it's an issue that arises at pretty much any junction where a cycle crosses a side road when the main road has slow moving or stationary traffic. All you can do is ride defensively and assume someone will pull out. I have this on numerous junctions on the last mile of my commute.

There's nothing about 20mph in the OP's post. I assume he's not piling into this junction at speed.
  • Pross
    It's in the follow up post a few comments up.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Pross wrote:
    It's in the follow up post a few comments up.

But not by the OP, aka me ;)
    I've also noticed that with the better weather, are more cyclists around the junction, so interesting to see what happens.

Thanks all for the feedback, I've asked for a foi request for the junction, due in the next 2 weeks, will be interesting to see what is mentioned, as well as contacted the road safety officer of the council.

Will keep you guys informed.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Pross
    You're right, apologies. I somehow read that as being by you as well!

Where is this junction? I'm happy to take a look and give my professional opinion on it as a highway engineer / road safety auditor.