Cycle mechanic

Nick-Beevers
Nick-Beevers Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Am looking for somewhere to do a mountain bike course but live in North Yorkshire and if anyone knew any courses round here like cytech

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cytech is a mechanics course, do you want to learn maintenance or riding?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why do you want to do a course?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I want to do maintenance, looking to try something new maybe open up a mobile bike repairs or work in a store
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No course needed if you are reasonably mechanically minded, just look at the decent sources (Park tool, youtube from reputable companies etc) and learn.

Never been on a course but I can strip and build bikes just fine.

If you want to do a course then Cytech as the only recognised one makes the most sense.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ive done Cytech 1 an nearly done Cytech 2. As Rookie said if your competent an can strip a bike you should be fine. I did them to basically help cover all bases. To be very honest quite a lot of the course content I already knew especially Cytech

As said though Park tools an the internet are great sources. I learnt most of what I know through books an videos.
  • Well I just completed a course at the national cycling center in Manchester and completed it really easy but no qualifications at the end, so trying to apply for jobs with this and see where it gets me.