Talk to me about bike boxes

roger_merriman
roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I do travel enought now that a bike box or possibly a bag? Would seem wise.

Hire bikes are of mixed bunch, last one I hired the brakes failed on the way down the hill, which made for a uncomftable dismount on to the grass at 20MPH...

So I'd rather take my CX bike which though a cheap lump is at least safe and set up for me. It is reasonably large bike at 58 but nothing like the MTB which is the size of a small car, I'd rather dismantle the bike too much, pedals/handlebars fine.

Thoughts and or suggestions?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    Long term or short term?

Long term, BikeBoxAlan. That is my conclusion after a few years of using a semi-hard case that is showing signs of wear and tear which will need replacing in the next couple of years.
    Buy right, buy once for serious long term use.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,144
    ^^^this

my bba has done about twenty flights so far, it's got cosmetic scuffs and gouges, aside from that it is wearing well

i did manage to pull one of the internal velcro straps off through excessive tightening, but they can be refixed simply by replacing the pop rivet
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Yeah, what they said. BBA every time.
  • Geo555
    Geo555 Posts: 96
    Have a look at the Bonza Bike Box

http://www.rosasport.co.uk/bike-box.html

A lot cheaper than BBA

http://www.rosasport.co.uk/bike-box.html
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    +1 for the BBA. Quality piece of kit.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I purchased a Scicon Aerotech recently, instead of a bba, which I'm very pleased with. Around same price as bba, provides great protection and requires minimal dismantling (seatpost and left pedal removal, twisting of handlebars).
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Thanks all I shall mull it over, no real rush at the moment!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I've had a bike box Alan for a few years. It's done about ten trips with me or my mates, there's a few scrapes but no sign of any problems. On a group trip last year the was a guy with a scicon box, although I don't know which type. In comparison to BBA it was truly laughable, I wouldn't have paid £150 for it, nevermind £450.

One of my mates also has a scicon semi rigid case. He likes it, thinks its really quick to pack. But we were packing them next to each other once and I got BBA packed quicker. I also wouldn't trust the material, particular since the handlebars after kept attached and have no protection.

It may seem like I have something against scicon. I don't, I just don't like that they are very expensive and from what I've seen are a joke. They're a prime example of not getting what you pay for.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago