Claud Butler rock bottom bracket bearings?

Andyn11
Andyn11 Posts: 31
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Got my bike a while ago and it was a fixer (neighbour got 2 as part of a payment and repaired them)

But now iam sure the bottom bracket bearings are needing replaced, when I turn the pedals in any direction you can hear it grind and feel it. I know how to do the job but not sure of what bearings to buy. Should I just be removing them and matching up (don't want to leave the job half done while I get the parts)

Any help appreciated :lol:

It's a claud Butler rock

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It all depends on what is actually fitted to the bike.

Park tools has guides for all BB types.

Link below.

Or you can change the whole crank and BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andyn11
    It has a truvativ x-flow crank (don't think that matters?) I know the bottom bracket bearings are a sealed unit... I'm really noobish to mtb repair but is there a set size for the sealed unit? Iam guessing there is... The guy that runs the local bike shop seems to be a bit of a con artist so iam steering clear of him
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The exact cranks matter a lot, the cranks determine the bottom bracket requirements.

You need a square taper 113mm bottom bracket, Shimano UN53 are inexpensive and last an age.
    http://www.sram.com.cn/sites/default/fi ... m-e-r4.pdf

Most semi decent bikes have sealed bearings these days.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to identify the type of cartridge unit:

- Axle type ie square taper/isis/octalink/powerdrive
    - Axle length
    - Shell width of frame

I'd remove it and have a good look.
  • Andyn11
    Terribly sorry guys have the bike in my man cave at the moment... Just discovered it's the rear wheel bearings (crank moving smoothly and silently but rear wheel grumbling) had a lot of issues with the back wheel so I'll probably just buy new wheels

Last time I go on a friends advice lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read Parktools and learn DIY maintenance or you'll have endless ongoing issues. With everything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools