Anyone else find Zipp alloy bars a bit lifeless...?

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
So, I bought some of the alleged bike fitters dream Zipp SL70 bars that are the usual shot peened alloy, though not as textured as say 3T or Deda. Fitted them up and they look OK, but found them to feel lifeless, enhance road buzz and generally not be that impressive in feel though the fit is great - somewhat paradoxically ! Had them in the garage for a while and rebuilding my commute bike and overall not that impressed.

Any opinions out there ? I have a credit note sitting at Merlin and might go for the Deda RHM100 as an alternative as the Zipps just feel like cheap, stock bars.... nothing in the 3T range the ticks the boxes in reach or drop due to geo needs.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I never realised bars were so interesting....
  • bristolpete
    Imposter wrote:
    I never realised bars were so interesting....

Yes. Another quality reply imposter. Keep that post count up eh ??! :mrgreen:
  • bristolpete
    OK, so should say, anyone using Deda RHM100 bars ? Ta.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Lifeless but with enhanced Road buzz? Isn't that contradictory?

I've never noticed much difference between bars apart from the shape.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have never detected a difference in feel between bars...but I have found that the bar tape can make a big difference.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the deda zero100 bars and love them. Good shape, compact-ish drop so comfy for long stints down low.

Also check out the PLT bars - I have some which don't bend all the way round which are a bit meh but they also have a model which has a fuller bend. A bit nicer than the deda, slightly stiffer but a narrower grip
  • imposter2.0
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I have never detected a difference in feel between bars...but I have found that the bar tape can make a big difference.

yep - bar tape and tyre volume/pressure. Not sure how a piece of bent aluminium tube will make a noticeable difference to your 'ride experience' either way...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I use Deda zero 100 bars. Splendid for me as the reach and drop are just right and I like the shape of the tops.

However I have ergonova team carbon bars on my winter Ribble, the longer reach suits the geometry of it more. They are ace too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bristolpete
    Thanks. Yes, what I mean for a bar that allegedly retails at £90, they feel cheap, like cheap stock bars on a sub £500 bike, despite an obvious upgrade. but, as others have suggested, it may be that the Specialized HD bar tape I wrap my bikes with may not suit it. To my mind, a dearer bar should feel better, but perhaps I am missing the point that they are also stiffer.

I am going to try a rewrap with something a bit softer like a roubaix tape. Looking at the rhmzero100 as another option. Thanks all.
  • imposter2.0
    Thanks. Yes, what I mean for a bar that allegedly retails at £90, they feel cheap,

That's because the Zipp name carries a massive premium. In reality, the bars will be no different to most other bars costing at least 50% less. It's the Rapha argument, in a different guise...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Another happy Deda Zero 100 user here. Can't say I've ever found them to be lifeless, although in truth I can't tell any difference between them and the cheaper Deda RHM 02 bars on my winter bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    MrB123 wrote:
    Another happy Deda Zero 100 user here. Can't say I've ever found them to be lifeless, although in truth I can't tell any difference between them and the cheaper Deda RHM 02 bars on my winter bike.

That's good to know. I put RHM 01 bars on my winter build because they were the cheapest bars I could find in the shape I wanted. Might do the same for the summer bike which currently has some anatomic shape I don't get on with...
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You might like the RHM02 too with flat top and otherwise identical , a few quid more.