New front mech or wider rear cassette?

Frank pole
Frank pole Posts: 112
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I've just been donated an allez 105 (2012)

Front mech is shot to pieces- seized limit screws etc

I don't ride to many hills so I'm thinking a wider cassette and leave the front mech off!

Or should I just get new front mech? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    That's quite a nice thing to get gratis! A new front mech wouldn't cost much more than a 10 speed cassette (under £20) and it would be a shame not to get the bike back in full working order if that's all that's required to do it. Having said that, was I you, I would be checking the rest of the bike over very carefully to make sure that nothing else needed attention before any serious riding - a good clean and lube never did a bike any harm anyway and even if you do have to spend a few more quid to get it truly roadworthy, you will still have a bargain on your hands.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Depends on the chainrings! If its compact then a nice wide ranging cassette could be handy ... but you'd have to check to see if the rear mech will accept your proposed largest sprocket ...
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    ayjaycee wrote:
    That's quite a nice thing to get gratis! A new front mech wouldn't cost much more than a 10 speed cassette (under £20) and it would be a shame not to get the bike back in full working order if that's all that's required to do it. Having said that, was I you, I would be checking the rest of the bike over very carefully to make sure that nothing else needed attention before any serious riding - a good clean and lube never did a bike any harm anyway and even if you do have to spend a few more quid to get it truly roadworthy, you will still have a bargain on your hands.

I've been right through the girl and managed to get her running sweet ( although my spare parts drawer has taken a hammering )

She was a bit dull and rust ridden!

My aim was to get her up and running for zero money... she's a compact 50/34 and the rear cassette could probably do with a change- which is why I was thinking on a wider cassette and keep it to a 1x10

It's taken me a day or so but she looks pretty much brand new!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Errm, no one I know refers to their bike in that manner, it's a "bike".

I would urge a little caution about simply keeping as a single up front as you may be then tempted to actually use all the gears at the back which really isn't a good idea. A front mech costs less than a tenner off somewhere like fleabay and not a lot more in the shops (Tiagra, 105, etc.). Ultimately, only you will know what gearing you need but one of the disadvantages of a big range on the back is the gaps between the cogs (in gearing terms) but some folks have cadence all over the place so that can be less of an issue for them. However, if you like a nice even paced cadence over rolling terrain then a close ratio sprocket set at the back and a functional front mech can work very well.