Cannondale Synapse Carbon Seatposts and Chainset options

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Just got myself one of the Cannondale Synapse disc Carbon frames but am completely confused by the new BB30A bottom bracket and options for chainsets, and the complete lack of 25.4mm seatposts.
I can't find any decent seatposts anywhere, they all seem to be out of stock, as do all of the adapters for BB30A. Anybody recommend a solid option to use Sram or Shimano groupset with the frame> I take it there are zero options to use Campag with BB30A?

Help is definitely needed!

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    For Bottom Bracket Look at Wheels Manufacturing, they can get just about any Axle size into any frame , the bearing quality is also excellent. I m running an Ultegra 6800 in my evo six using their BB adapter. ( obviously not BB30a though0

Rotor and Praxis are the other obvious candidates. As for 25.4 seatposts , theres a fair bit of FSA stuff on the German sites , such as Bike. DE . The official UK site is Qwerty but as you say a lot of stuff is sold out.

Wheelbase, and Epic cycles also carry a lot of Cannondale stuff in the UK might be worth a call
  • kleinstroker
    If it was plain old BB30 life would be sweet, but no one seems to carry anything for BB30a. Thanks for shop tips though! Will check them out
  • xslbmlqo
    xslbmlqo Posts: 25
    Kogelbearing and c-bear makes an adapter/bearings for the bb30a which let you use Shimano or Sram chainsets. Wheels mfg makes cheap rubber adapter which seems easy to install, but maybe isn't as long term solution as the others. Also, I think you can run at least some Sram bb30 chainsets with Synapse.

I ordered Synapse Carbon 105 today and if the bb starts to creak, I'll probably install the c-bear bearing and maybe upgrade the groupset at the same time.

Thomson makes 25.4mm seatpost with no setback and Enve has one with 25mm setback but it costs 250€.

C-bear: https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bb30a
    Kogel: http://kogelbearings.mysimplestore.com/ ... ale-bb30-a
    WheelsMFG: http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/ca ... pters.html

Thomson seatpost: https://www.bikethomson.com/product/elite-seatpost/
    Enve seatpost: http://enve.com/products/seatpost/

Some one here says he got Campagnolo Record chainset installed: http://road.cc/content/forum/144878-sig ... cannondale
  • kleinstroker
    Some of those adapters are crazy expensive! It's just a bit of machined aluminium for schrists sake. Had a look for thomson Elite on 25.4mm and sold out everywhere I looked. Obviously production runs must be very small for these.
  • xslbmlqo
    Some of those adapters are crazy expensive! It's just a bit of machined aluminium for schrists sake. Had a look for thomson Elite on 25.4mm and sold out everywhere I looked. Obviously production runs must be very small for these.

Yeah, I hope the 25.4mm seatpost and BB30A won't make me regret that I picked Synapse :? Is there something wrong with the stock seatpost? Do you have the C2(carbon?) or C3(alloy) one? I've read that even those expensive Fsa sl-k posts aren't that good.
  • kleinstroker
    I'm sure you'll be happy with it, they do look like great bikes, can't wait to get mine up and running. Managed to source a very nice carbon seatpost today 25.4mm 130g from Hylix for £50 so pretty happy about that as the Cannondale ones have all gone from UK stores
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I have a set of the wheels manufacturing adapters that I used in my BB30a synapse that I was going to post up on the for sale forum.

There were only used for a few months (less that 500 miles) and were a good solution allowing me to retain the bb30 bearings. Send me a message if you are interested in them

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/ca ... ranks.html
  • xslbmlqo
    I'm sure you'll be happy with it, they do look like great bikes, can't wait to get mine up and running. Managed to source a very nice carbon seatpost today 25.4mm 130g from Hylix for £50 so pretty happy about that as the Cannondale ones have all gone from UK stores

Have you been happy with the Hylix seatpost? My seatpost started to make very annoying clicking noise when it's flexing. My 350mm post is 1-2cm away from the minimum insertion, so I guess longer post could help with that.

Can you say is the clamp on the Hylix longer than Cannondale's? I'm not sure if I can get away with zero offset post, if the clamp limits movement of the saddle too much.
  • I fitted the Sram Force BB30 chainset to my Synapse BB30a so the Red should also go.
  • kleinstroker
    Did you have to remove the ring on BB30 spindle for it to fit? Cheers
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    I have been talking to my LBS about changing the stock Cannondale chain set on my Synapse, have had issues with the creaking BB30A, they advise the wheels adaptor so I could run an Ultegra 6800 chains set.

This will also allow me to use 36/12-11 which I appreciate is cross chaining but it does bug me that I can't run it on my synapse due to the spiderings but my other bike running Ultegra 6800 will happily run it.
  • kleinstroker
    I run the Sram Force GXP 50/34 with Wheels MFG adapter in my Synapse now, but BB30 will save me a few grams so would be better
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I have a set of the wheels manufacturing bb30a adaptors if anyone is after a set.
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    I like cannondale bikes, my old CAAD10 was great but the chainstay cracked out of the blue, finally got offered a warranty CAAD12 frameset after a lot of hassle. Ended up asking for my money back on the the 10 frame instead mainly due to the chainset and post options.
    Cannondale basically only want you to run their components in their bikes, it's a straight up ploy.
    BB30 - people start making excellent adaptors (Praxis), they change it by 5mm to BB30a to bring you back inline.
    The post is an annoying grey area as I can see how they could offer up a perfectly decent explanation for it but it's no surprise that size post is not readily available.
    Personally I wouldn't get another cannondale unless it was a real high end job with their top kit on it.
    Buy a low-mid range one and you've got a real ball ache upgrading.
    I wouldn't use a wheels manufacturing adapter for anything other than a trendy pepper grinder.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    DanTe1977 wrote:
    I wouldn't use a wheels manufacturing adapter for anything other than a trendy pepper grinder.
    Dan, Have you actually tried the WM adapters? I just wondered whether it was a direct experience than enabled you to reach the above conclusion.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    ayjaycee wrote:
    DanTe1977 wrote:
    Dan, Have you actually tried the WM adapters? I just wondered whether it was a direct experience than enabled you to reach the above conclusion.

I ran the BB30 version on my CAAD10 frameset, the shop insisted they were the ones. I was skeptical at the time and it creaked non stop for 2 weeks even with a couple of visits to adjust. Next up was the Rotor adaptor not so bad but still pretty poor especially when out of the saddle.
    The Praxis was brilliant from the get go.
    I wonder if the success all round of the praxis adaptor was enough to prompt cannondale to shift their standard again?