What bike should I get - Please help

lukaorlic
lukaorlic Posts: 6
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I was hoping I can get some advice on what do you think of this bikes that I shorlisted for my next bike. Which one is better in specs, which one would you get, what is your thoughts? Obviously if you have any other that you would recommend I would like to hear from you too. I commutemostly (18km one way / 5 days a week) but that is not the sole use of the bike, as over the weekend i do some casual cycling too. Currently I owe a entry level road bike (Scott Speedster 60) and iIlike how the road bike works for me, I would like to upgarde to Hydraulic disc, but also have space to fit mudguards and get most for my money. Here is the list:

Cube Attain SL Disc 2016

Focus Cayo AL 105 Disc 2016
AdTech Ad

Merida Ride Disc 500 2016

Fuji sportif 1.1

Scott Speedster 20 Disc Road Bike - 2016

Eastway Zener D2 105 - 2016 (not sure if i want a carbon fibre bike as it would hurt me too much to beat the bike on London roads on daily basis)

I hope you can advice and help me decide.

Thanks.

Luka

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The Scott Solace 20 Disc came out top in a 3-bike shoot out in the current edition of Cycling Active magazine. Bit higher spec than the Speedster (carbon rather than alloy frame) but more or less the same drivetrain and hydraulic brakes.

Since you already own a Scott and like it then why not stick with the brand
  • thanks for the reply... the only thing is that the solace is a little bit out my budget :(
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I know you say you don't want carbon, but that Eastway spec for that price is a real bargain - carbon frame, 105, hydraulic breaks etc...I wouldn't worry about the London roads, people take their carbon bikes out on much worse roads up and down the country (me, for example).

And you can always upgrade the wheels if you find them a bit sluggish. The advertised weight for a 56 at 8.8kg is also decent for a disc braked bike. It's also advertised as an 'endurance' frame, so should be good for long distance weekend rides as well.

If I were going for one of the listed bikes, it would be this one. The only disadvantage is that being Wiggle only, you won't be able to test ride it before you buy, which with most of the others you would be able to (if an LBS stocks them), but if you are sure of your size and check the geometry then that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
  • Thanks. I'm 6'3 and i would need to go for the biggest model depending on the manufacturer (59 / 60 / 62)