Ultegra or FSA Gossamer

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Posts: 420
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I've recently been lucky enough to buy myself a Look 765.
I have the version with ultegra shifters front and rear mech but with FSA gossamer pro calipers and chainset.
I have the chance to buy a new ultegra chainset and also brakes, are they worth getting and swapping for the FSA kit or am I just wasting my cash?

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    6800 Brakes definitely worth the coin. I'd take the chainset, too. Gossamer is more like 105 level, at best. It's not bad, just a bit meh.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I would agree on the 6800 brakes - they are very good with stock pads and even better with Swisstops (Blue BXP, in my case). I really don't know whether they would be an improvement over the FSA brakes as I have never tried them. As to the chainset, you will probably not see any difference whatsoever in performance if you change to Ultegra and the real question is therefore whether you want to spend the money just to have Ultegra to look at rather than FSA and only you can answer that. I was in the same position as my Synapse has the BB30A FSA SLK Light chainset on an otherwise all Ultegra groupset and I decided that I could happily live with it but that I would rethink if it ever broke or the BB went.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'd probably run the FSA kit until the chainrings wear and replace with Dura-Ace.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Re: Performance. You won't go much quicker, and weight wise, it's not going to be significant, but Shimano cranks and rings definitely shift better.
  • I have FSA Gossamer Cranks and Ultergra 6800. Can't notice a difference in stiffness, but the FSA are a few 100g heavier (albeit not noticeable whilst riding the bike). I have Praxis rings though which shift just as well as the shimano, so can't comment on shifting. The main downside to the FSA gossamer is the pre-load nut; constantly coming undone and is made out of very soft aluminium.

I can only compare the 6800 brake to 6700 and they are a noticeable improvement. Not a complete game-changer though.

Is it worth it as a upgrade? Well, both would make a measurable improvement, which is more than most 'upgrades' people make! If it were me I'd wear the gossamer crankset out before replacing and or sell both them and the brakes 'as new' to offset the cost.

Neither are as fundamental as getting comfy contact points though, so you may want to hold back that cash until you're sure you're happy with the saddle, stem length, bar shape / width and grip tape before making other upgrades.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    FSA Gossamer chain ring snapped teeth, and self extracting nut fell to bits when I admittedly over tightened it. I'd go Ultegra.