boardman 650b comp replacing the bottom bracket

fireflypyro
fireflypyro Posts: 2
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i have a boardman 605b comp mountain bike which has developed a fault with the bottom bracket being loose and grinding, also the thread on the peddle is sheered, i have had a look around and seen some suggestions that Deore HT2 Crank-set would fit, obviously i would need to replace the crank as well due to the damaged thread that you screw the peddle into.
I have removed the bottom bracket and the specs written on it are as follows

FSA
BB-8420
BCT.37X24T
L < 73 > R
POWERDRIVE

the crank is
alpha drive fsa 44/32t

I would be very grateful if someone could help me in determining which replacement bottom bracket and crank would best fit, thanks very much!

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If you're intending on replacing the bottom bracket and crankset at the same time, then it doesn't matter what type you use as long as the two are compatible with each other and the frame's bottom bracket shell.

From the information you provide, it appears your frame has a standard "english-thread" shell, so any basic screw-in external bottom bracket cups will fit. Shimano HTII falls into this category, and if you buy a new crankset it should come with the bottom bracket cups included (at least, they always used to).

Worth bearing in mind you'll also need a new hollowtech tool to fit those cups.