Light, tubeless, wide rim wheelset?

solarflash
solarflash Posts: 102
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I was all ready to order a set of Hunt wheels but their delivery time is after the event the wheels are needed for so I'm looking for some alternatives. These wheels will be for my wife, who is very light, so a shallow, tubeless ready rim in an overall light weight package would be ideal. Alloy braking surface.

Anyone used the superstar arc 22 wheels?

Suggestions or recommendations very much appreciated :)

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I ordered the pave wheels, they re good but very flexy with the Laser Spokes (for 100 quid they re fantastic mind)

I reckon set of those with Stans 340 Rims and Race spokes rather than Lasers would be great, 400s if you ride off road a bit

If you can find them, I ve found my Fulcrum racing 3s (2 way fit) acceptable - though not mind blowing I must say. Im thinking of getting a 28 spoke set of the Alpha 400s from superstar when they wear out.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Budget and definition of Light, i.e sub 1600 grammes and £500 ish?

In which case you were right with the Hunts, came out on top in the comic ( Cycling Weekly ) recently.

I m saving a bit more and going for some Dura Ace C24 9000 Tubeless, £580 the best I can find, so £170 more than the Hunts and not particularly wide profile but only 1380 grammes so considerably lighter.

The Ultegra 6800 are hard to beat on performance, Durability and Weight at the price too and can be picked up for about £270.

Also consider Prolite A21'S for the same reasons as the Ultegras, if not a better buy.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Pro lite Bortolas? Wiggle had them for around £280. Was quite tempted myself...seem quite a bargain.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bortol ... -wheelset/
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    JRA Jawbone or similar Pacenti on generic/novatech build. A bit of a bugger to mount tyres on, but definitely light, wide and tubeless.
  • Novice question:
    It's ok to run normal tyres on "tubeless-ready" wheels, yes?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Yep.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    'with tubes...yes
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Novice question:
    It's ok to run normal tyres on "tubeless-ready" wheels, yes?
    The downside being that some clincher tyre/tubeless rim combos are nearly impossible to fit clincher tyres to.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Wide, light, tubeless rims - can't go wrong with Ryde Pulse Sprint. Really nice and stiff for the weight and shape.

You can get these built up 1400g-1500g with change from £400-£500. Eg:

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/co ... from-1220g

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/r ... eelset.htm
  • Wheelsmith race 20`s
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently