Isle of Wight Randonee 2016 anyone?

milemuncher1
milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
http://www.cycleisland.co.uk

The annual Isle of Wight Randonee, is on the 1st May this year. This is one of only a couple of organised rides, that I do every year. I'm sure a lot of the folks on here are well aware how much of a giggle it is. Who else is in this year?

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Thanks Milemuncher Isle of Wight has been on my list of rides for a while but have never got around to yet.

Can I ask what most people do about accommodation? I was looking at the Lymington-Yarmouth ferry and there is one at 7.15 am and then the next is 9.15 am. It would take a good two hours to get there for the 6.45 am check in and there is no way I'm getting up at 4.15am.
    Do most people stay on the IOW or on the mainland and cross as foot passengers? It's also the May BH and with 2000 people doing it is it hard to find somewhere to stay?
    Thanks in advance.
  • I'm doing it with a team from work, all abilities. We've done it for the past three years, and this will be my 5th. Great ride, the community really get behind it too with food stops manned by volunteers from all backgrounds. Last year was foggy and windy but brightened up in the afternoon. I'm expecting the organisers to lay on wall to wall sunshine this year.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    whoof wrote:
    Thanks Milemuncher Isle of Wight has been on my list of rides for a while but have never got around to yet.

Can I ask what most people do about accommodation? I was looking at the Lymington-Yarmouth ferry and there is one at 7.15 am and then the next is 9.15 am. It would take a good two hours to get there for the 6.45 am check in and there is no way I'm getting up at 4.15am.
    Do most people stay on the IOW or on the mainland and cross as foot passengers? It's also the May BH and with 2000 people doing it is it hard to find somewhere to stay?
    Thanks in advance.

Most people I've ridden with, in the past few years, have stayed in one of the hotels in Southampton, down by the west quays centre / docks, or in one of the B&B type places right outside the red funnel terminal in Southampton. Red funnel cater very well for the event, they segregate off some of the car park spaces, then you board the passenger ferry before they allow the vehicles on board. When you reach East Cowes, you are right at the start point. They run the event anti clockwise, so that there isn't a mass bunch up on the floating bridge. I'm lucky enough to live right next to the Red funnel terminal, which makes it a total doddle for me. Last year's weather was hilarious on the Cowes side of the island at the start, but was much nicer over the back of the island later on. The road up to Blackgang was completely pea soup fog. The three Cunard Queen cruise ships, we're paying a rare visit to Southampton on the return voyage last year, which was nice to see, as the ferry got right in amongst them.
  • We're getting the Portsmouth - Fishbourne ferry which is Wightlink, they don't offer discounts like Red Funnel unfortunately. We'll be starting from Wotton.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Thanks for the information, still pondering the logistics.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    It's a great day out with little traffic on most of the roads so I'll be going again this year. There are three routes to the IOW, Portsmouth, Southampton & Lymington so plenty of options for overnighting, basically anywhere from Bournemouth across to Havant will have you 1/2 hour or so from a ferry. Don't worry about the start time, its not a mass start. Basically turn up at any checkpoint for your start, register and and get your card stamped at the half dozen other check points. Good food and a friendly welcome at all. We normally go across from Lymington on the 09:15 ferry, so no you don't have to get up at 4am!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    whoof wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Do you have to roll out at 6.45? I haven't done it for a few years, but the several times I've done it previously it was pretty relaxed and you signed on when you liked, got your card stamped at each checkpoint and it's all rather chilled out.

As an aside, are the rules regarding the floating bridge changing for the day? It had always been free for bikes and pedestrians but last time I was on the island they were charging cyclists to go across.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    phreak wrote:
    whoof wrote:

Thanks in advance.

No, you can start anytime and at any checkpoint. As above we normally start about 10:30.

Do you have to roll out at 6.45? I haven't done it for a few years, but the several times I've done it previously it was pretty relaxed and you signed on when you liked, got your card stamped at each checkpoint and it's all rather chilled out.

As an aside, are the rules regarding the floating bridge changing for the day? It had always been free for bikes and pedestrians but last time I was on the island they were charging cyclists to go across.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    admittedly depends on where you live -- i got up at the crack of dawn and took the train from london to portsmouth, did the ride, and took the train home. i spent more time on the train than i did cycling, but honestly while it was a lovely day out, i wouldn't pay up to stay the night before though as makes it quite an expensive 100 km. but if you cycle in the new forest the other day it may be worth making a weekend of it.

and while i think i was likely on a 5 am train if not earlier, we ended up not getting to the island until 10 am due to some mechanical issues. we therefore didn't see that many people on the road - so missed out on a bit of atmosphere -- but you def can start later.