Canyon Ultimate Sizing Help

jd155
jd155 Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
About to buy an Ultimate CF 7.0 SL. Would be great if anyone could offer any advice on sizing as I’m not convinced by Canyon’s perfect positioning system.

My measurements:

Height: 184.5cm
Inseam: 84cm
Weight: 73kg
Torso: 68cm
Shoulder Width: 46
Arm length: 67

I have a longish torso and arms compared to my legs.

The Perfect Positioning system returns a Medium for the ultimate. Only if I increase my inseam to 87cm – which is fully 1.18 inches – does it say I need a Large.

However the system seems to be heavily weighted on the inseam measurement, as only by increasing this measurement could I get it to return a Large. For example, if I increase my torso length by 7cm to 75cm and my arm length by 8cm to 75 - I still get a Medium. This can’t be right.

Yesterday I rode a friend’s Large Roadlite, which I understand was essentially the precursor to the current Endurance model. It was mainly a great fit. I just lowered his seat by 1cm as his legs are longer than mine. I also felt the need for a more aero position as it felt too ‘sit up and beg’. Having studied the geometries of the ultimate and the endurance, the ultimate’s longer reach dimensions look ideal.

I’m basically concerned that a Medium won’t be right for my proportionately longer arms and torso. I’m not bothered about having a particularly aggressive set-up – the bike is mainly for fast countryside commuting. My inkling is to go for a large, but I don’t feel that confident.

Anyone else have an ultimate or endurance in a medium or large and is about my size? Or does anyone have any experience of second guessing the PP system to go up a size?

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Are you still growing? If so, size up, you might be in for a wait ;)

Seriously, though, I'm no help.
  • jd155
    jd155 Posts: 3
    Are you still growing? If so, size up, you might be in for a wait ;)
    I'm 36. I think I'm more likely to start shrinking with old age before the bike comes! Maybe a medium's best after all!
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I can't help in your specific case, but I've had both a roadlite and a CFSLX. All my other bikes have been a medium but the Canyon PPS recommended a small, so I went with a small. Both bikes fitted perfectly. Also, a medium comes with a crank length of 172.5 and a large 175mm.
  • Limafox
    Limafox Posts: 1
    Vortice wrote:
    I can't help in your specific case, but I've had both a roadlite and a CFSLX. All my other bikes have been a medium but the Canyon PPS recommended a small, so I went with a small. Both bikes fitted perfectly. Also, a medium comes with a crank length of 172.5 and a large 175mm.

@Vortice. Incidentally, how tall are you?
  • 0ced0
    0ced0 Posts: 46
    rule of thumb if between two sizes:
    long legs, choose the smaller size
    long torso, choose the bigger size
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    0ced0 wrote:
    What happens if you have long legs and the head tube is too short on the smaller size because you have to have the saddle so high?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • 0ced0
    0ced0 Posts: 46
    0ced0 wrote:
    What happens if you have long legs and the head tube is too short on the smaller size because you have to have the saddle so high?

choose another bike or go custom fit :mrgreen: