Can you buy a Shimano Ultegra 12 28t ?

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I know it's not possible to get a 105 option but ive read on various forums about an Ultegra 12 28t yet I've not been able to find one. I need to change chain and sprocket and it's currently on a 12 27 with a compact chainset. I know 1 tooth isn't a great deal but I live on the edge of some lumpy roads and that little extra tooth might just make the difference, particularly when it's between 25 and 33%! I rarely need anymore than a 12t as I'm usually clinging onto the brakes on the descents!

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Need to know what speed it is first, 9, 10, 11?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I'm not aware of a 12-28 shimano cassette for either 10 speed or 11 speed.
    I think there is a 12-28 11 speed dura-ace option but it's expensive and I've heard some reports of it being fragile.

Some people have assembled their own, custom 12-28 by taking the bottom 6 from a 12-25 and joining that with the top 5 of an 11-28.
  • markhewitt1978
    If it's 10 speed you can get a Tiagra 12-28. I know because that's what I have on my turbo bike!
  • rob13
    Looking at the ratios, I might even look at 12-30t Ultegra. Yes its a big granny gear, but it swaps the 16t for the 30t in comparison with a 12-27. Im not too proud to not use one for vanity only!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the OP needs to a) answer the "Which speed" question and b) really accept that one tooth at the back WILL NOT make a tangible difference. If current gearing of 12-27 is not enough then there are a few options such as going to a 30t/32T, etc., but the options are very dependent on the speed. A longer cage will probably be required but, then again, a 30T will often fit on a short cage with the appropriate adjustment.
  • rob13
    Speed? Its usually required when I'm blowing out of my arse in single figures on a 25%+ climb!

I accept that as my fitness builds again, it'll get easier but id rather not be grinding up a climb if there is another gear to go to. I was doing such climbs yesterday on a semi compact 36t with a 28t rear and it was tough. I could have done with something that I could spin the cranks a little more.
  • markhewitt1978
    Rob13 wrote:
    Looking at the ratios, I might even look at 12-30t Ultegra. Yes its a big granny gear, but it swaps the 16t for the 30t in comparison with a 12-27. Im not too proud to not use one for vanity only!

I use 12-30 on my road bike. I'm not sure where you get the strange idea that it's somehow a 'granny' gear or you have to lose your pride to fit it, it's just a gear ratio.
  • markhewitt1978
    Rob13 wrote:
    Speed? Its usually required when I'm blowing out of my ars* in single figures on a 25%+ climb!

As above. Speed means is it 9 speed, 10 speed, 11 speed? Rather fundamental to nailing down your selection as they are entirely different product lines!
  • Bobbinogs
    Climbing a 25% hill will as much come down to technique as it does fitness and gearing. One needs to be able to get the pacing just right (no margins for error) and be comfortable about handling a bike at low speeds and manage to steer around potholes/obstructions...as well as cope with a quick dismount if needed. Balance is also key, too much over the bars and the back wheel will slip, particularly with the high leverage of very low gears...too much over the back and the front will lift (not a lot of fun that one). Often, getting over a 25% climb will come down to luck because most things could result in a foot down...and you won't get going again (watch the pros and they suffer this as much as anyone, particularly when a big peleton meets a narrow climb).

As above, "Speed" just refers to the number of cogs on the cassette. The actual Shimano code will define it better (6500 is Ultegra 9 speed, for example).
  • rob13
    Rob13 wrote:
    Speed? Its usually required when I'm blowing out of my ars* in single figures on a 25%+ climb!

As above. Speed means is it 9 speed, 10 speed, 11 speed? Rather fundamental to nailing down your selection as they are entirely different product lines!

Sorry thought I'd already included that! Its 10spd. Im not a new rider but I didn't do much last year following the previous 3 years so its meant being realistic with strength and ability. 30t should be ideal for when the going gets really tough.
  • markhewitt1978
    Rob13 wrote:
    Rob13 wrote:

Sorry thought I'd already included that! Its 10spd. Im not a new rider but I didn't do much last year following the previous 3 years so its meant being realistic with strength and ability. 30t should be ideal for when the going gets really tough.

Then yes the 12-30 Ultegra should be ideal. I climb a lot in the N.Pennines and I use it there all the time. Not just 'when the going gets tough' but on most climbs!
  • I've had a (14-28?) Ultegra on my Felt since a service back around 2010, but because of my lower back issues, it has only done <250 miles since then (mostly last summer after my Saracen frame cracked and then my better half's Saracen Zena 2 was nicked in the shopping precinct).

I much preferred being able to fine-tune my gears and cadence, especially uphill, rather than use the 50T chainring with 13/12/11 sprockets going downhill.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Get a Tiagra 12-30 only £12.50 and you'll not notice it's any different to Ultegra at twice the price.It works fine on a short cage rear mech just adjust screw to clear top Jocky wheel.
  • rob13
    Bought the Ultegra in the end. Probably could have saved myself the money with Tiagra but it's on my nicest bit of kit so I don't mind paying the extra. Thanks for the replies
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    janwal wrote:
    Get a Tiagra 12-30 only £12.50 and you'll not notice it's any different to Ultegra at twice the price.It works fine on a short cage rear mech just adjust screw to clear top Jocky wheel.
    The new tiagra (4700) doesn't have a 12-30, anyone know where I can get the old tiagra 12-30 10sp for £12.50?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    janwal wrote:
    The new tiagra (4700) doesn't have a 12-30, anyone know where I can get the old tiagra 12-30 10sp for £12.50?

Yeah - just done a Google search and the 4600 12-30 cassettes appear to have disappeared off the face of the planet at the £12.50 price tag.

I have 2 lightly used ones in my bits box after moving to 11-speed. Might stick them on the classifieds if there could be a demand :lol:
  • markhewitt1978
    arlowood wrote:
    janwal wrote:

Yeah - just done a Google search and the 4600 12-30 cassettes appear to have disappeared off the face of the planet at the £12.50 price tag.

I have 2 lightly used ones in my bits box after moving to 11-speed. Might stick them on the classifieds if there could be a demand :lol:

I have the same issue. I always run 12-30 on my road bike (10 speed ultegra) and get the Tiagra cassettes as they're cheap and they work well. But they've just gone! Can still get the Ultegra ones. Tiagra I guess would still work but it's like 12-28 which is not what I want or weird ones like 11-32.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I suspect that Shimano have stopped making the 12-30T cassettes now that Ultegra is 11sp and for some reason deleted it from Tiagra 4700 10sp group, which is annoying for those of us who liked it. New old stock of 4600 seems to have gone at the usual suspects, though 6700 are still available, £30. :(
  • darkhairedlord
    DJ58 wrote:
    I suspect that Shimano have stopped making the 12-30T cassettes now that Ultegra is 11sp and for some reason deleted it from Tiagra 4700 10sp group, which is annoying for those of us who liked it. New old stock of 4600 seems to have gone at the usual suspects, though 6700 are still available, £30. :(
    Too tight to spend £30 on a 10sp cassette and the ridulous 11-32 would need a long cage rear derailleur and a ride of shame. Those b'stards at Shimano have forced me to mtfu (almost) with the 12-28 :oops: :oops: :cry:
  • markhewitt1978
    Too tight to spend £30 on a 10sp cassette and the ridulous 11-32 would need a long cage rear derailleur and a ride of shame. Those b'stards at Shimano have forced me to mtfu (almost) with the 12-28 :oops: :oops: :cry:

I've I'd known I would have bought a handful of Tiagra 12-30! I fear the Ultegra 10 speed 12-30 will disappear before long too.

I would say upgrading to 11 speed is in order but the ratios available there are similarly strange, 11-32 being the closest which I object to fitting as then I'd have a useless 11T cog in there, so if I don't use that I effectively then have 10 speeds so what was the point!

I suspect you're right that 12-28 is going to have to be it :(
  • Bobbinogs
    Fear not you feeble souls, Amazon still have a few 12-30T available by the look of it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Tiagra- ... B00ED0ITWO
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    just get a 12/28 sram option ? pg1070 i think, has a better range than Shimano too.
  • markhewitt1978
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Fear not you feeble souls, Amazon still have a few 12-30T available by the look of it:

Aye and £23 when they used to be £12 !
  • rob13
    LBS selling Ultegra 12 30 for £40
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Aye and £23 when they used to be £12 !

Hi Guys

Apologies for the blatant plug but I'm offering a couple of lightly used Tiagra CS4600 12-30 cassettes in the classifieds if any of you are interested. £14 posted each or £25 for the pair

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13061639
  • darkhairedlord
    we need a government e-petition to bring back the 12-30 cassette and ensure it is available in 10 and 11 speed variants at a fair price. Never mind all that other boll*x, this is the real deal!
  • Bobbinogs
    we need a government e-petition to bring back the 12-30 cassette and ensure it is available in 10 and 11 speed variants at a fair price. Never mind all that other boll*x, this is the real deal!

£23 for a cassette seems reasonable to me! Then again, my Shimano cassettes are 6500 and cost the princely sum of £26 (ooh, get me!).
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414

A-f*cking-men