Ridley X-Bow 10 Disc - 2015 Bike - decent?

zjohn
zjohn Posts: 12
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
This is on for a tasty discount and only £670, down from £1200. Anyone have any experience of it? I'll mainly be using it for commuting, so will need to fit mudguards. Cheers.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    They re funny shapes Ridleys. They have very high BBs and long and low front ends (it's genuinely more aggressive than my stupid hipster fixie) . They re designed by Belgian cyclocross freaks for other cyclocross freaks and can be a bit marmite. I would really really suggest you try one before parting with your money. If you like them then they re good bikes. They re relatively popular over here.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • zjohn
    zjohn Posts: 12
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    It must be said though (as I think about it) Commuting in that London bears many similarities to cyclocross...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Try for size but I'd definitely recommend. I've only got the X-bow from 2013, but 2 1/2 yrs later it's been good for over 10000 km and is great for commuting, sportives, days out with mates and the odd cross race. Bit of an unforgiving ride apparently, but with ice spikers on in winter and now Michelin endurance 28s it is really smooth.

Good for blowing away most of the others in the wiltshire wildcat on saturday! After the ice tyres for winter the michelin feel as smooth as silk. I just wish mine had disc brakes - stopping 108 kg on cantis was "exhilarating".
  • 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    I had one (2013 Disc, with rainbow stripes of course for maximum bling), the geometry isn't for anyone, but given I had a lot of good rides on it for the best part of 3 years, its not really something that matters me
  • I love mine. Check for toe overlap though. That is I think the only gripe I have- and might be my own sizing issue. I've used it all winter doing the school run with a trailer behind. The disc brakes are pretty good if a bit noisy and the 105 was a nice upgrade from the Tiagra on my other bike. For that money it'd be rude not to.