Tapered steerer advice

Sharky999
Sharky999 Posts: 103
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, currently i run a set of 1-1/8 straight steerer forks on my cotic BFe, ive just bought a set of tapered steerer forks, is it as simple as buying a reducer to fit the bottom of the headset or is there anything else i need to buy to fit them.

Sorry if i come across a bit dim, vague, uneducated

Cheers
M

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Reducer won't help if the forks are wider at the bottom.

Depends on the headtube - what headset fits as standard?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Assuming its the standard headset for the BFe with is a 44mm internal then yes but you would need something like an EC44mm (EC means external cup) to give you the space. Still best off checking the headset fitted though incase its different.
  • Sharky999
    Thanks for the replies, looks like there is a Hope Ec on the bottom of the steerer, which has a bearing set that inserts into it.

Told you im not very clever :/)
  • step83
    Sounds about the norm, youll probably need to change it though for a EC44/40 1.5” Traditional as the bottom bearing, crown race an outer seal are wider to take the tapered fork. if you drop the current bearing set out it should tell you whats in there now, may even be lucky an have that in there already with a shim plate.

Helpful Hope headset guide second one in the external cup one is generally what youll need, headset setup H should be the one from memory that you need, if you want to stick with Hope that is

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uplo ... 011Web.pdf
  • Sharky999
    So the bearings that sit in the lower cup are a a set of ACB 4545 1.5".

Does that tell you any more??
  • Sharky999
    right I've been having a wee root around in my "Bike Drawer" it appears the external cups are the ones i need and i have a reducer kit/ shims for my straight steerer forks, there are a few other bits and pieces that look as if they are for a tapered steerer set up.

The forks arrive on Thursday so will give it a bash then, if I've got any problems I'l let you know.

thanks for the help

M
  • step83
    Seems to be about right, the forks wont come with a crown race though so you may need to pick one up. Id offer them up the forks in the bearing set though just to make sure it all sits flush.
    Also worth dropping the bearings into the bottom cup that bearing spec seems the same though. The hope EC takes the following bearing size 52x40x7mm and has 45x45 angular contact, which is the same as the bearing you have. It should fit fine but just double check to be safe.
  • Sharky999
    Step83 wrote:
    Seems to be about right, the forks wont come with a crown race though so you may need to pick one up. Id offer them up the forks in the bearing set though just to make sure it all sits flush.
    Also worth dropping the bearings into the bottom cup that bearing spec seems the same though. The hope EC takes the following bearing size 52x40x7mm and has 45x45 angular contact, which is the same as the bearing you have. It should fit fine but just double check to be safe.

Thanks for all the advice mate, all done with no hassle or bits needing bought.
    cheers