chain tool 10/11 compatible

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi All
Never removed/ replaced a chain , but feel as though I am now man enough to give it a go !!
Please can anyone recommend a good chain tool 10 and 11 speed compatible.
Also , is there anything I know before attempting this monumental task ?
regards
ILG

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I have the Park Tool Mini Chain Brute CT-5, though have only used it on 7, 8, 9 and 10 speed chains. It isn't listed as being 11 speed compatible, though that could be down to the website needing to be updated? There is this that is listed as 11 speed comp. http://www.parktool.com/product/chain-t ... gory=Chain

Just make sure that you locate the driving pin centrally, in line with the link pin you are pushing out, there is no need to push the pin all the way through the second link plate, just enough to disconnect the chain.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Just used the Topeak chain tool - currently less than £10 at various retailers -to fit a new 11 speed Shimano chain including fixed rivet - worked fine
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Many thanks , bought a topeak universal and a new KNC chain , going to give it a go on the weekend .
    regards
    ILG
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I quite like the lezyne multi tool sets as they often come with a chain breaker.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    *** Thread Resurrection ***

Fwe (Evans) chain tool just broke after only its 2nd use, although over a year old so I'm chalking that up to experience. Little part of the cradle snapped off like it was plastic??

As time has moved on, what's the latest thinking about VFM for occasional mechanic vs quality. Park tools?

Thanks folks
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    this

https://www.parktool.com/product/chain-tool-ct-3-2

used one for years - both in the shop and at home - on 9, 10, and 11 speed.

its bombproof and if you do snap the pushy thing a replacement pack of two cost pennies.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • big_harv
    Merci bien! Looks like my next purchase.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    pleasure to help any time.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Big Harv wrote:
    chain tool just broke after only its 2nd use..... Little part of the cradle snapped off like it was plastic??....

Sounds like you may have had the chain in the wrong place? I once did that on a normally easy 8 speed chain; I'd sat the chain in the bit you use for freeing up a stiff link, and the thing snapped like it was made of cheese
  • I'm using for 2 years the VAR tool https://www.vartools.com/fr/derive-chai ... r-p951.php

One of the best i've ever had
  • big_harv
    keef66 wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    chain tool just broke after only its 2nd use..... Little part of the cradle snapped off like it was plastic??....

Sounds like you may have had the chain in the wrong place? I once did that on a normally easy 8 speed chain; I'd sat the chain in the bit you use for freeing up a stiff link, and the thing snapped like it was made of cheese

Honest guv, no.. I have done that before and would put my hands up to that but on this occasion I merely brushed the chain over the "secondary" position and it snapped clean off. Fortunately I 've got the pin out but the tool is heading over the fence. Country park in my case. Not on fire, that would be irresponsible.