Post crash frame damage

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Hi folks,

Got hit by a car last week - I'm ok bar landing on my head (thank goodness for helmets is all I can say!) so now got very sore neck, back, ripped knee, elbow etc. - went to A&E luckily no broken bones. My bike is worse for wear though and I think the non-drive side drop out has been bent. The car hit me pretty much right on the quick release skewer end of my rear wheel. The wheel is totalled and I think the drop out is damaged. I didn't ever look to check before (who would?) but I think the drop out area was flat - mine now has a pronounced inward curve (in toward the bike) - pic below. Does anyone know if it looks bent? Should it be flat? Its a specialized Sectuer Elite. It needs to go into a lbs to be inspected but I'm not up to doing that yet and am super worried its a right off.

Also the fork is loose - there's a little play on rocking with front brake like headset is loose - which definitely was not there before the crash. I got a friend to dismantle and check headset, fork and tube for me and it looks ok bar the inner race of the lower cartridge bearing is rocking a bit so could it be that? Anyone know if a hit like that can damage the bearing like that and if the inner race rocks can that cause rocking of headset ? Can a hit knock the headset loose without damaging fork or head tube? Only way to stop it knocking I'm told is to tighten the pre load down so tight it turns but is tight and it feels notchy.

last question - is it really true that you only get the current second hand value of a bike if its a right off?

IMG_0546_zps1appyxa0.jpg

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Get someone to take it to the bike shop for you and see what they say. If the car driver is liable then their insurance will give you the funds for an equivalent bike. Take it one stage at a time.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    A good LBS will produce a quote for you detailing what needs to be done to restore the bike to its pre-crash condition. You can then forward this to the insurer. Best of luck :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D