Kerrison of Sky explains

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited March 2016 in Pro race
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    so what's this new super secret training technique sky are using this year that everyone will be using once word gets out?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Cue million tweet rant from Tucker about Nutella.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Love it, Phil "I don't train with a power meter you know" Gilbert now piggy backs onto Sky training rides to try and get a good session in for himself too. :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Cue million tweet rant from Tucker about Nutella.

He already has. A scientist apparently.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    so what's this new super secret training technique sky are using this year that everyone will be using once word gets out?

I know a couple of people who work alongside Sky's nutritionist at LJMU. I understand they do a lot of low carb training. Recent science suggests this enhances the training effect.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    gsk82 wrote:

I know a couple of people who work alongside Sky's nutritionist at LJMU. I understand they do a lot of low carb training. Recent science suggests this enhances the training effect.

There is an aside about Sky using low carb/fasted training in this triathlon coaching podcast (sorry, can't remember whereabouts in the podcast it is):

http://joelfilliol.com/podcast/2016/2/14/scientific-knowledge-on-coaching
  • gsk82 wrote:

Somewhere in OZ durianrider has just blown a gasket
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    gsk82 wrote:

Somewhere in OZ durianrider has just blown a gasket

From what I've read of him, he must have KwikFit Auto-repair on speed dial.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Haha he has already made a few videos after GCN mentioned Skys low carb rides.
  • ddraver
    gsk82 wrote:

That's my new name for the morning Commute...
    - @ddraver
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I love the way Sky troll the twitterrati with these interviews.

Biggest marginal gain is money. Every time.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992

Yet Sky have by no means the biggest budget in pro cycling.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    NapoleonD wrote:

And not only that...
    All the World Tour teams have got money: OK, many don't have as much as Sky, but how they choose to use it clearly has a bearing on results.
    Instead of sticking to a methodology that last produced results for a French rider in 1984, FDJ sling a few quid at wind tunnel testing and a develop a focused approach to improving their TT ability; et voilà!, they improve their TT ability...
    In the few excellent results - and excited publicity - after this development, they've probably already recouped the costs involved...
  • ddraver
    Yeah but...Armstrong!
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155
    NapoleonD wrote:

They're not far off though. They're not Leicester City.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mix of access to large amounts of the bunce, combined with how they use it

They have one of the 3 biggest budgets in the peloton, for sure. But they also spend a larger share of their budget on coaching staff than other teams. Across the WT teams, the riders wages account for something like 90% of the overall budget. At Sky, it's 80%.

More coaching staff, for starters. And that's been the case from the beginning.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I can see the advantage of having more coaches but its interesting that Lizzie Armitstead has had a lot of success without one.
  • RichN95.
    Mechanism wrote:
    I can see the advantage of having more coaches but its interesting that Lizzie Armitstead has had a lot of success without one.
    She's racing against people who are in exactly the same boat though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:
    She's racing against people who are in exactly the same boat though.

That doesn't seem fair. Bloody hard trying to row on tarmac, especially uphill.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Mechanism wrote:
    Didn't know she didn't have a coach? But even so you can be sure there will be plenty of knowledgeable people happy to give her advice should she need it, also going out with a Sky rider means he probably gives an insight to their 'next age' training techniques
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Mechanism wrote:
    Didn't know she didn't have a coach? But even so you can be sure there will be plenty of knowledgeable people happy to give her advice should she need it, also going out with a Sky rider means he probably gives an insight to their 'next age' training techniques

Listen to the Cycling Podcast from a couple of weeks ago. She's not a fan of being told what to do... prefers to set her own programme. Was a great listen.

I couldn't get confirmation anywhere but I get the feeling that Vos is also self-coached now, although she was coached earlier in her career. Presume that's what you were referring to Rich?
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:
    I couldn't get confirmation anywhere but I get the feeling that Vos is also self-coached now, although she was coached earlier in her career. Presume that's what you were referring to Rich?
    No, more generally than just Vos. The women don't have much money so any coaching they have is minimal. I doubt any team can afford a full time coach.
  • thchris1958
    thchris1958 Posts: 117
    Joelsim wrote:

54 is the new 666 :twisted: :D
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:

54 is the new 666 :twisted: :D

Oh well, only a week or two until the Internet breaks again.

:roll:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    dish_dash wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

Listen to the Cycling Podcast from a couple of weeks ago. She's not a fan of being told what to do... prefers to set her own programme. Was a great listen.

I wouldnt have said Lizzie doesnt use a coach at all, its just maybe not the traditional coach/rider style setup, so she tends to lead her own training, but she definitely gets advice and input on things from the likes of Danny Stam, and I think still Phil West (who was her very first British Cycling coach) as a mentor.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Interesting assumption inherent in Armitstead preferring to do her own thing, in that it implies coaches would always try to outline everything an athlete should do. Lots of coaches take the approach of facilitating or questioning an athlete's own plans, working more as a sounding board and advisor than as a manager who imposes some kind of ideal system. The trick, really, is finding the right coach for yourself. Would be interesting to know, seeing as they talk about that sort of thing more than most, whether Sky try to maintain a range of coaching styles amongst their various support staff, or if they have more of a template to recruit to.
  • ddraver
    I reckon awavey is right. I'd be very surprised if she did tn have some sort of sounding board or advice. Whether that person is called a coach or not may be up for debate...

Women's Teams tend to be similar to cycling teams of old in that the DS is the manager, tactician, coach, talent scout etc. there is a good interview on ProWomenCycling with the guy that runs...Wiggle? or maybe Boels-Dormaan? who talks about it in some detail, it's a good listen for any cycling fan.
    - @ddraver