Shimano SPD-SL pedals R550 Vs 5800 105

paul_onabike
paul_onabike Posts: 194
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Has anyone had experience in comparing the R550 pedals directly against the 105 or Ultegra versions.

Been using the R550 pedals since they came out a couple of years ago and I find that the pedal bodies wear quickly, and the spindles can bend. I can wear a pair out in 4 months use, whereas the previous alloy bodied ones lasted much longer.

Do the more expensive versions, such as the 105 5800, last any longer. Are they worth the price differential?

Thanks.

Comments

• teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I have used the cheaper R550, Ultegra carbon & 105 carbon. The only pedals I've had issues with are the R550s.

The Ultegra Carbon (can be had for around £70) are superb (engagement & weight)
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have only used DA and 105 5800 carbon ones. Never had any issues.

Sounds like you are getting through way too many pedals, or maybe I am just not getting out enough.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Can't speak for the R550's, but I've got 105 Pedals on one bike and Dura Ace pedals on my other bike.

My advice - don't waste your money on anything more expensive than 105's unless you really want to save those few grams.
  • Anonymous
    dstev55 wrote:
    Can't speak for the R550's, but I've got 105 Pedals on one bike and Dura Ace pedals on my other bike.

My advice - don't waste your money on anything more expensive than 105's unless you really want to save those few grams.

Sorry you feel like you wasted your money.

Just for some balance, I Have DA on my nice bike and 105 on my winter one.

Chose to put DA on my newest bike too and certainly do not feel I have wasted any money, I love them.
    Axles are soooooo nice.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Carbonator wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

Sorry you feel like you wasted your money.

Just for some balance, I Have DA on my nice bike and 105 on my winter one.

Chose to put DA on my newest bike too and certainly do not feel I have wasted any money, I love them.
    Axles are soooooo nice.

I agree with that point, the axles are ridiculously smooth, but although not as smooth I've also had no problem with the 105's and not sure they justify the jump in price.
  • Anonymous
    What's 'not worth it' to one person maybe worth it to someone else.

Seems the R550's are a bit pants (not heard that before this thread) and if that's true it seems a bit silly to just go one better and rule out anything else.

Sure DA might be excessively luxurious but if you have a DA bike it's no big deal is it?
    Not sure you would bother otherwise.

Bugger being smooth, that's a given.
    They look gorgeous lol

The difference between 105 and Ultegra is probably more relivant to most people.

Unless it's for commuting I don't think cycling is about getting stuff that 'just about works'.
  • Anonymous
    I have the R550 (on summer bike) and the axles are starting to show signs of rust which is pretty pants as I want them for my winter bike!

Also have 5800 which are good as new in spite of being on winter bike.

To be honest, they both feel identical under foot.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I had R550 on my winter bike but just didnt like them, I don't know what it was about them but I just didn't get on with them. I changed them for a pair of used 5700 alloy pedals (which had very little use) and they have been very reliable and trouble free. I have 6800 pedals on my good bike and find them brilliant, very smooth axles and nice firm/solid engagement/click out but couldnt justify the price of them for my winter bike so went with 5700 pedals.