Stans Cyclocross rim strip...

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited March 2016 in Cyclocross
Do these...
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.No-Tubes-Stans- ... wodwaQH-w#
...effectively do the same thing as fitting Stans rim tape and tubeless valves separately when converting tubeless ready rims?
Have successfully converted a pair of Kinesis CX Disc v3 wheels using 2 X layers of Stans tape, valves and sealant. Ready to convert another pair of tubeless ready rims and wondering if this is an easier option?
cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I guess so. Remember it says cyclocross, so it might not be suited to 90 PSI road tyres
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yes, but I think the tape is a better choice...

If the valve breaks or gets blocked it's and easy fix, if you have a massive puncture you can remove the valve and the "rim tape" will still be in place etc. At the end of the day 2 wraps of tape and a valve is easier to set up and more permanent at the same time.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • luv2ride
    ddraver wrote:
    Yes, but I think the tape is a better choice...

If the valve breaks or gets blocked it's and easy fix, if you have a massive puncture you can remove the valve and the "rim tape" will still be in place etc. At the end of the day 2 wraps of tape and a valve is easier to set up and more permanent at the same time.
    Hadn't considered that but, yes, if you got a puncture that wouldn't seal at least you could use an inner tube with the rim tape (after removing the Stan's valve). Sounds like Stans rim tape and valves it is then. I'll be running my new WTB Nano 40mm TCS tyres on some wide Alex tubeless ready rims (Ad490) so not overly concerned about running anything at high pressure....will probably be around 30 psi. The frame will take big tyres, so seems rude not to!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I think (think!) that the rim strips were Stan's first attempt at sealing the rim and they then switched to the tape and valve as the system developed

The other thing is that I saw that the TCS system WTB use is only compatible with other TCS rims - not sure if that's right as I ve not used them but it might be worth a quick question...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • luv2ride
    Mm, seem to recall something similar now you say it. But I've been successful (twice) in mounting TCS Crosswolf tyres on to Kinesis CXD v3 rims. Mind you, I think previous versions of the CXD wheels were based on a WTB rim but not sure about the V3's?